Husband Has Abdominal Pain, Vomiting, Diarrhea of Unknown Cause

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has been sick for about a month now since we came back from our honeymoon in New Orleans. His stomach was bothering him some, so he didn't come to Thanksgiving with my family. He seemed to be fine until last Wednesday or so. He began to have some abdominal cramping and vomiting. This continued into Thursday. He was a little better Friday and went to a movie. Saturday we went to have Christmas with my grandma, and we ate some enchiladas she made that didn't taste all that great. For breakfast, we had meat market tacos. For dinner, we were bad and had Taco Bell. 

BAM! Sunday, my husband has severe abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. It was bad enough that we went to the First Choice ER. They gave him an IV, anti-nausea meds, and Dilodid for pain. They did a CT with contrast. The CT ruled out a blockage, gall stones (his gallbladder has been removed), bile build up, appendicitis, etc. However, it did find a fat-containing right inguinal hernia (we had no earthly idea), a fatty liver, and a cyst on his right kidney as well as multiple kidney stones (which we knew about from his last ER visit for a kidney stone). He is 31 years old. 

It's Monday night, and he is still in pain. He can barely keep anything down. He managed to keep down a few bites of grits and a few bites of a banana. That's really all he has had since he puked up broth this morning. He hasn't been able to go to work because of the pain. 

They prescribed him pain pills and anti-nausea medicine, and it seems to help for just a little while. 

Unfortunately, the people at First Choice couldn't be bothered to really answer my questions, especially about the hernia. I figured maybe that's what could be causing his pain, although that seems a stretch because he describes his pain as between his diaphragm and belly button that sometimes shoots out to the sides. 

They told us to follow up with a primary care physician and a gastroenterologist; however, we do not have health insurance anymore because it was ungodly expensive and it was terrible through our jobs. 

Any idea what this could be? I have researched viral infections, giardia, H. pylori, all that stuff. I'm just not completely sold on anything. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh, I forgot to mention that the physician told him, "Maybe you just ate something bad." 

Seems like it had to be pretty bad to me for him to be in this much pain. 

• Posted

Hi ashkey71150

Stick to bland foods nothing rich or spicey, no fried or greasy foods or fizzy drinks, alcohol or citrus fruit. Have fish, chicken some red meat some veggies and salads. No spicey dressings. Have water or warm milk and honey. It is probably the rich and spicey foods that has caused the pain and vomiting. You will have to see a doc to check out the hernia..my best wishes..

• Posted

What weight is your husband, does he smoke or drink alcohol and what is his lifestyle like, eg, does he workout, run, etc?
  • Posted

The hernia, cyst, fatty liver and kidney stones all need further investigation because any one of these problems could be causing symptoms.  All of them will need treatment.  The best thing is to try to get insurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.