Husband has chronic gout difficulty controling it please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello we live in Indonesia and my husband has chronic gout diagnosed before we moved here.  He is on Allopurinol 600mg BID and Prednisone 20 mg BID.  This seems to control it but for obvious reasons we do not want him on pred longterm.  The doctors here cannot do a uric acid test and give him some local harbs which do not help.  He does not tolerate colchicine well.  We are considering adding probenicid?  He has radically changed his diet but nothing has seemed to help and one day on lower pred dosages and he is crippled.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Victoria, sorry about your husband's problems.  Have you tried celery, and celery seed?  Don't know if you can get either there, I know a few years ago it was hard to get a lot of common nutritional stuff there.

Cannot do a uric acid test?

For serious cases of gout it's not just diet, but stay on it, even when it is diet it can take weeks and months for the uric acid to flush out.

Of course you don't want to be on the prednisone a long time, and it's hard to get off it once you've been on for a while, that can turn into a whole project by itself.  Might be able to reduce the dose slowly down to around 5mg, every little bit helps.

• Posted

Have you tried celery seed extract?   There have been two very promising human studies on this.  The extract is what works the best.  75 mg. twice a day at 85 % 3Nb.
  • Posted

Make sure his limbs are not cold or he doesn't overheat either. For instance he should wear socks or cover his legs even if hes not feeling cold and not wanting to do it. Also, if hes really really hot and sweaty, he needs to cool off and try to prevent dehydration which will cause issues. Be aware of these opposing temperature issues and the effects on the body and this should help some.

• Posted

I've been using high potency Bromelain (GDU > 2800) which relieves gout pain quickly. Its works well, and even better when combined with colchicine. Bromelain is a pineapple enzyme that dissolves uric acid, and reduces inflammation. Because it dissolves uric acid, it temporarily blood  reduces uric acid as well.

I tried celery seed, but didn't notice any relief. 

• Posted

Hello,

First of all, your husband has to reduce (or better stop) consuming:

- Meat (e.g. chicken, beef, pork)

- Seafood (e.g. fish, crab, shrimp)

- Inner meat (e.g. liver, lung, kidney, sausage)

- All kind of food/snack which has sugar (sucrose) and fructose

- All kind of drink and soft drink which has sugar or fructose

- Alcohol drink

To reduce the inflammation and pain, take ibuprofen.

To temporary reduce uric acid, take Allopurinol.

Remember, the most important thing is the diet I mentioned above.

I don't ask your husband to extremely stop eating them. But he has to reduce the consumption.

Basically, your husband's kidneys have exceeded uric acid processing capacity.

By doing the diet, the kidney will be able to flush out all uric acid from the blood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.