Husband has strange formation on side

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay, so i am new here. I have googled my heart out and found nothing so i wanted to ask someone. I will try and keep this short.

So, my husband has strange bumps on his side. They go all the way from his ribs to his hip. They are kind of greyish, and warm and soft to the touch. I asked him about it when I first saw them and he said they have been there for years. He claims they don't hurt or anything. My first thought was a hernia, but i have never seen one so large that looks like lumps before. So, recently I was talking with his dad because my husband has had quite a few surgeries in his life time. His dad said when he was about 18 months old, they took him to the hospital because he was in pain and they found out he had intestinal malrotation, and they also discovered his hip was dislocated, and he has something called perthes disease. He had a surgery to correct his hip, but from what he can remember, the malrotation was not corrected. When he was 8 he had another surgery to correct an undecended testicle, and he also had two more surgeries in his teens for his hip and legs. But he says he has never had any surgery to fix the malrotation. Now, I have read about this and it can cause life threatening complications and is usually fixed as an infant soon after malrotaion is discovered, so idk why they didnt fix it then, but I am wondering if maybe thats what the bumps are? Nothing i have found states that the malrotation should be visible from the outside though. He is reluctant to go to the doctor, but i am trying to get him to go. Until then I am really hoping for a clue as to what this could be.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why wasnt it corrected ? Is he in pain ? If it shows greenish it could now be volvulus !! Your husband needs to go to the ER now !

• Posted

I'm unsure as to why it wasnt corrected. He wasnt given many details about it from his parents. It causes him no pain at all, and has always been the same color. Like I said, he said he has had it for years. We just recently married and I noticed it not long before that. I am trying to get him to go to the doctor, but he is reluctant to go because he is overweight (which he is working on) and hes scared they will tell him he needs another hip replacement soon. I am making a harder push to get him to go within the next month. Until then, I am hoping to hear from anyone that may know what it could be.

• Posted

Well malrotation as you probably know is twisting of the intestines . The formation you describe could very well be his intestines ... Does he vomit ? If so is it greenish ? Or his stools greenish ? Does he appear swollen ? , he really needs to see a doctor asap . This is nothing to toy with , im sure the doctor would be more concerned about his malrotation more than his hip at this time ..

• Posted

I am not in Medicine but I had a similar complaint. The G.P. (U.K.) told me no surgeon is going to touch that!

Obviously I asked : Why ? He answered, the potential risk of infection is greater than any benefit that may be derived. He may have been born with this weakness or it may be a childhood injury. Try to achieve weight loss; if that gives a reduction then it's just weight on the abdominal wall. Sorry, it's not easy to lose weight. Good luck to you both, still see your doctors . E

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I do wonder the reason they didn't fix it is because it wasn't causing problems at that current time. When he sees a doctor I am going to have him ask if we should be concerned. Weight loss right now is our number one goal. It is difficult due to the fact that he has a pretty severe limp on top of hip and knee pain that prevents a lot of activity, but we are working on it together. I am pushing harder to have him see his doctor asap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.