Husband having left ankle issues for a few years, need second opinion on x rays please.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my husband has been having some ankle issues for a few years now that are just getting worse. His left ankle has been in pain and he's not able to run for more than 3-5mins. He also can't rotate his ankle fully and cold or rainy weather makes it hurt more. We're expecting it to be arthritis but doctors said they don't see anything wrong with his x rays.

The pain is mostly on the inside of his left foot and it's starting to affect his hip and back. Please let me know if you guys see anything wrong with the x rays or if you might know what it is that's paining him.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just updating, actually its not the inside of the foot that hurts but the outside where that "knuckle" like bump is. 

• Posted

Hi Sandy!

Have your husband get an MRI so that the doctors can see the actual tissues within the bones. I was having a very similar pain, right below the “knuckle” you mentioned and it was almost between the joints so I couldn’t do anything to make it feel better. I got an MRI and it turned out, there was little to no cartilage between my heel and my talus bone. 

(Just last week I had a surgery to fuse the two bones last week, hoping that this solves the issue.)

Also, have your husband google “subtalar arthrodesis“ or “subtalar fusion” and read other stories about the pain people experienced. If it sounds similar to what he is experiencing, have him bring it to the attention of the doctor.

Hope this helps! 

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying, I will do just that! His doctor keeps thinking its a weight issue because he's overweight due to a thyroid issue, but he's been having this problem even before his thyroid starting acting up.

• Posted

So he did need a subtalar fusion. We had an MRI done and the doctor said the reason why he was in so much pain was because his talar bone and heel bone were beginning to fuse. Now he said that with the surgery he wouldn't be in as much pain as he is without it, after he healed from the surgery of course, but I'm reading a lot of other people's experiences and it seems the pain will never go away (the doctor assured me it would and thats why I pushed him to get the surgery). The doctor also said that he should be able to walk in a reinforced boot after 2 weeks.

It's been a week and a half since he got the surgery and even the lightest touch makes him wince out in pain. I feel like he's trying to rush my husband to heal and in doing so causing him unnecessary amounts of pain. He almost refused to refill his pain medication (which he only gave enough for 1.5 days) but we were able to get some when he was out of the office and another doctor saw that he had the surgery and prescripted enough for one week.

Is it normal for the doctor to want him in a reinforced boot after two weeks with a subtalar fusion? He even mentioned that one of his other patients who went through the same surgery went jet skiing in two weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.