Husband is a secret drinker

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have recently discovered that my husband has been drinking secretly. Over the last few months, I have come across him drinking behind my back. He has been seeing a counsellor, but it would appear that it's not working. He says he wants to stop, but doesn't talk much to me about it. I feel quite alone.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

maybe he feels alone too because he had to keep it a secret from you.
    • Posted

I think by its pure nature it's an excruciatingly lonely condition and place to be ... but hey look at all the support that can only be good

• Posted

Hi,

I am going through something very simiar. My husband didn't drink for 5 years and I met him during this time. Earlier this year he decided to drink again and it has been a nightmare ever since. I'm 25 and have children and our whole world has been turned upside down. He promised to stop but has been drinking in secret. It's so obvious and I can smell it on him! I don't know what to do as I have tried everything and he now will not admit he has a problem. I have suffered so much abuse as a result and now all I do is pretend I don't know what is going on. I am scared of the future me and my children will have.

What more can I do?

• Posted

You will get some sensible and useful advice on here soon. Best wishes. 
    • Posted

The reason he won't admit there is a problem is that there is lots of shame attached to having a drink problem because it is thought of as a lifestyle choice rather than a medical disorder which it is now known to be. I'll send you a link to a 16 minute video for you to watch, in a private message. See if you can get him to watch it too.

• Posted

So sorry that this has been in your like too! 

Addiction is a family disease and it destroys everything and everyone it touches. I liken it to a continuing tsunami leaving trails of wreckage in succeeding generations. People who suffer from the effects of addiction, either personally or by association, often admit to an inability to feel any joy in their lives. Recovery, however, also touches all who have been devastated by addiction for succeeding generations.

If your hubs commits to recovery, then restored health and sanity helps to prevent your hubs &children and their children from suffering this terrible disease.

You cannot stop your spouse, father, mother or significant other from drinking anymore than you can cause them to drink. You can only get help for yourself. Nothing in your life will change until you do, and if you commit to the changes you need to make for yourself this  necessitates, those around you will be forced to change how they respond to you. I wish you the courage to change.

he must make the decision that he will not go one more minute or one more day with alcohol controlling his life and yours. There usually is a core reason anxiety or self medication. This is not the first time he has had Alcohol issues. 

There re is a lot of help here many knowledgeable people to intrigue you to the many heeling methods to stop the cravings for alcohol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.