Husband recently diagnosed with PTSD (non-military) I'm running out of options.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband and I have been together for 18 years and have two children, 15 and 10. I knew early on that he had a bad childhood, and had witnessed some interactions with his mom as an adult to back that up. Throughout our marriage he would have mood swings that lasted a day or two then things would be fine for awhile after. He was never abusive to me, and I just knew to give him space during those times.

This past November he said he didn't want to be married anymore. I was blindsided! I thought we were in such a good place, everything was coming together for us and our little family. Our bond felt closer than ever and I felt like newlyweds again. I was devastated.

About two months ago he revealed to me more details about his childhood, and they are horrendous! He experienced every type of abuse imaginable starting at a young age. He was physically abused and neglected by his mom and placed in foster care where more/new abuse happened. The foster mother was good to him, but I think she contributed to some of the emotional abuse by not letting him cry or be upset as she thought it showed weakness. She also wasn't aware of the abuse he was receiving from other kids/people in the home. I was heartbroken for the little boy he was, having to endure that with no one to step in for him.

This month he has begun seeing a counselor and psychiatrist. He wasn't honest with them about his past at first. He was okay with letting them think he was bipolar or schizophrenic. For him it was easier than admitting to the abuse. Although they diagnosed him with PTSD, that isn't their primary focus as he still isn't completely forthcoming about his past. As someone who has been by his side for nearly two decades, I know that is the root of the problem.

He moved out of our home two months ago. He is pushing me away but tells me he still loves me. We've talked about divorce but can't seem to commit to it. Its back and forth all the time. I feel like he's telling me there isn't any hope for us. I read everything I can find about abuse survivors and PTSD, but when I give him the resources he doesn't read them or take it seriously.

I would never force him to talk about the abuse, and I know in therapy they don't always ask people to do that anyway. I just want him to think about it and realize there is hope. He's so negative. He counts himself out immediately. Sometimes he blocks my number and I won't hear from him for a couple days. He still contacts his kids, but I feel so left out. He says he doesn't really want a divorce but he feels like he can't ask me to wait either. I love him so much and I want to care for him through this time. He won't let me. He says he doesnt want me dealing with his issues. I'm his biggest and only support! He has no one else. Even though he is getting help and is on meds, he tells me he's afraid if he comes home this is just going to keep happening. I don't know what to do anymore. Is divorce our only option?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

OMG, I just feel for you so much. It's the opposite in our house, I have the PTSD through being raped then left when I was younger. I push my husband away sometimes without knowing it. I feel so guilty for what I did. I've denied my husband children as I still feel the rapes were my fault, as this is what I was lead to believe. He must talk his counsellor will help him. There is EMDR that is used to treat PTSD, that is used by psychologists. Try that 1st. You must get support my husband has had to get some too. Good luck, it's so tough.x

• Posted

Wow! It’s as if you were watching my life play out in front of you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.