Husband's Vasectomy Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband had a vascetmony on Wednesday. Obviously a lot of bruising. He has told me the pain/discomfort is coming from the area above his penis, and he is in pain when bending. He is still walking like John Wayne! He has also mentioned that his urge to urninate is much more frequent since the procedure? Is this normal?

I will note that as soon as he was discharged (had a general) he went grocery shopping and then we had a 90 min trip home. He went back to work the day after (12 hour shifts in an industrial environment- lots of walking/standing and a few stairs. He is the manager and has told me he is 'taking it easy'wink. He has refused to put ice on the area. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Pain can "move" so feeling it somewhere else isn't an issue.

What will be the issue is his working! Regardless of manager and taking it easy he needs to be off his feet with tight briefs / underwear for a min of 24hrs! Walking causes a fair degree of strecthing in that area...the one thing you need to avoid.

It is why they recommend 48hrs off work then lighgt duties for a week following. It isn't the Dr trying to be nice! it is the Dr trying to save the patient a lot of extra pain and possibly preventing the patient havig to go back to him.

Walking causes sweat, sweat is bateria...in a crotch area that has had surgery. Great breeding ground for bacteria and a very likely source area for an infection especially with an open or stitched wo

It is early days yet with regard pain. He needs to keep on top of pain relief, he needs to reat up fully, he needs to wear tight briefs or support and if necessary ice packs wrapped in a few layers of towel.

But no by working and walking he is definitely not taking it easy for the type of procedure he had, he is however making it very easy for things to go wrong and for increased levels of pain

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. The Dr gave him 4 days off but was aware he was going back to work the next day and said he 'should be fine'. My husband is alternating Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (well, I hope he is doing as he is told! I gave him the medication with instructions)

My husband is wearing firm fitting underwear at least. It's the refusing to ice the area that I don't understand. Obviously there is swelling but he tells me it's too hard of an area to ice?

Why are men so stubborn?!!! :p

I'm trying to explain that he needs to look after himself to minimise complications and to get him back on his feet sooner!

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your hubbys pain but, not being funny, what do you expect?

The doctors give post surgery advice for a reason.

I had a vasectomy 8 weeks ago and followed the doctors advice to the dot.

Complete rest for 24 hours and applied an ice pack for 20 minutes every hour during this time. I kept off work for 72hrs and avoided any lifting for a week. I didn't play sport for 4 weeks. And I purchased a pair of sports shorts with a drawstring pouch and wore these for a week (yes I did wash them every day).

I have had absolutely no pain, discomfort, swelling or bruising at all (to date).

I read a lot of horror stories, and know a few people who didn't do as advised, and they suffered.

The doctors give ou this advice for a reason and it really should be followed.

Hopefully all will work out ok for him though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.