husbands been over dosing on venlafaxine, what should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Husband has been depressed for over 2 years and been taking venlafaxine for the last year. I have just found out he has been taking 10 tablets a day for the last week and I'm unsure what to do?! He seems OK apart from struggling to urinate. I worried the tablets will cause long term damage as its over 3x what he should be taking a day!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You need to get help from a professional. Do you have a crisis team number you can contact? 
  • Posted

He's at his councilling appointment this morning but unsure what he actually tells them? Thank you for that i didnt know spomething like that was avalible. I've looked up crisis teams and there's a number I can ring from 10am so I'll ring as soon as they open.
  • Posted

Hello. Your husband needs assessment asap, may not be the right AD for him, it sounds like he is desperate to get some relief, can you get an emergency appointment today please keep us posted on his progress
  • Posted

God, I hopeyou gethim an appointment asap with a doctor, you have to tell a professional, this drug/medication is bad enough taken in small quantity let alone what he has been taking, sending a hug to you both and hope you get it sorted x

• Posted

I feel totally let down. Crisis team are happy for his councillor to deal with it, his councillor is happy that he's surrendered his tablets to me and for me to administer them to him! They've referred him to a support group which will take weeks to come through! Husband seems really positive about it and says I'm fretting about nothing! Surely he should of at least been referred to go for a check up? God knows what damage he's done!
  • Posted

He iHe should not be doing this.   Your husband is overdosing and it is dangerous.  He could end up seriously ill.  He should be taking one a day.  What dosage is he on?  Gosh he must be feeling absolutely dreadful.  He could be doing serious damage to his body.

It will not help with the depression by taking 10 times the normal dose.  Surely when he goes for a new prescription the doctor or pharmacist will notice he is getting through them too quickly.  He needs help, and quickly.  Please get him to a doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.