Hydrocele repair progress reports

Posted , 5 users are following.

im in Australia, had a left hydrocele repair today. been a long wait. initially 256ml.in Aug 21, then ruptured, but came back again and follow up Ultrasound in Nov 21 showed 183ml but kept growing. Today Feb 22 they removed 400ml during Surgery.

want to provide feeback as reviews on here mainly negative so want to post own whether good or bad..

so far testicle is considerably smaller.. mine was like a large mango before. Much more comfortable due to size reduction. And urinating easier already. no leakage after.

pain post surgery minimal as day 1 and they gave me extra anti inflammatory meds during surgery and IV antibiotics. surgeon doesnt think gonna be that much pain but i said give me Tramadol anyway.

have been icing and thats it so far. no tramadol or panadol yet.

will continue to update as days go.on.. because this is not much talked about.

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

day 2

well the slept ok. i suggest putting a pillow between your legs for side sleepers. helps a lot.

the incission was a bit stingy and sore today but i have only taken 2 panadol and 2 neurofen. and i could have went without but decided to have just in case.

just continued icing and relaxing on recliner. walking not too bad. this is no where near as bad as i thought. surgeon said disposable.stitches in and follow up with in 2 weeks to check progress. will let you know more as go along but getting this done has been a very good decision so far and no where near as bad as i thought.

• Edited

Day 3

not much to say. took bandages off today and had a shower. not in much pain at all. looks like a war zone down there. lots of bruising and testicle looks all squashed up. but its all so much smaller down there. will be interesting to see what looks like in another week.

but not in much pain whatsoever. at moment.

reports to come

• Edited

Day 5

a lot of brusing. and no pain at all. i have been very happy with pain level since the op. nothing like i feared.

i am not having any of the problems listed on other reviews here. testicles are smaller then have been in years. they are still soft. one doesnt hang lower then the other or too high.

whole lower ab pubic region appears raised and soft like fluid there but there is lot.of brusing too in that area so that may be just inflammation. there is also couple areas of soft fluid like blobs above and to side of testicle.just below shaft. even the skin on shaft is bruised and appears swollen.

im.able.to.walk.fine. very happy with progress. not a pretty sight but im sure over next 2 weeks brusing, swelling will all go.down.

• Posted

Hey! im currently 6 days post surgery and am having same symptoms as yourself with fluid blobs above the testicle and feeling a bit swollen and tender in the groin area just up and to the side of my shaft.

Ive been quite panicked as i am assuming the worst and that the operation has failed. did these go away for yourself in time?

• Edited

Glad to read your healing is going well.

• Edited

Thanks, i no posting a lot but i just found negative reviews online and it actually made me think about trying to just live with it. im glad i decided to go ahead now. it has been so much less painful then i thought.

• Edited

day 10. stitches have started to dissolve. i think will take few more days for them to go. bruising still bad. no pain at all. been out and about. will updates every few days. but if you thinking whether to have op or not i would advise to have it. the surgeons said a lot of men try live with it and mine was fine up until.it got to 150ml+

But eventually grew to 400ml and size of mango. it was effecting my lifetyle. So if yours is too then i would advise to have it.

• Edited

I had mine fixed December 2020. I was trying to live with it, but like you, it kept growing. I gave real thought to Dr. Lavines (spelling?) procedure. Spoke to my doctor about it. we both agreed non surgical is good, but if it didn't work it would leave behind scar tissue for the next attempt. Plus when I called the procedure wasn't covered by insurance and had increased in price from what I saw online.

The personal (horror) stories I read online scared me till I realized people are far more likely to speak of this if it went badly. Not if it went well.

I made my own recovery diary post like this. I'm sure is buried in here somewhere. My doctor said it was the largest hydrocele he has dealt with. he removed "a liter" of fluid. It was the size of a softball. about 14 months post op now. For several months I would get a sharp twing of pain occasionally from the area. But luckily that has stopped. I had a lot of excess skin and my concern was it would stay like that. I couldn't get an answer for that here. I can say 14 months later, every so often it has a little extra pinch of dangly skin, nothing like it was after surgery. The non hydrocele side usually looks larger in comparison, and overall looks 95% or more at times pre-hydrocele.

• Edited

wow a litre. that would have been horrible. i had a small hydrocele right side too but only 83ml so they said dont worry about. its doesnt bother me at all. didnt even know it was a hydrocele.

only thing of concern now is a small soft seemingly fluid filled lump just under shaft of penis at top of testicles. has some bruising so i assume an edema but i did read somewhere it may be permanent..hoping not as looks a bit odd but will see as only 12 days recovering and even stitches not completely dissolved yet.

did you notice this ?

• Edited

I had a hematoma that seemed to collect around the testicle when I had my vasectomy and after my hydrocelectomy.

I'm far from a doctor, id assume a edema and hematoma or similar? But, in my case 2-3 months the lump was gone. I noticed it slowly getting smaller. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it doesn't change size a few months after.

An annoying thing I had happen after both my vasectomy and hydrocelectomy was a bad ingrown hair at the incision each time. That was rather annoying.

Once I got home after the surgery and discovered a pen rose drain in my sack, that wasn't mentioned at all... that made for some great thoughts. I ended up using my wife's pads because it constantly drained blood and other fluids. ahhh, memories. lol.

• Posted

so 3 weeks now and last few stitches about to dissolve. i expected them to go sooner but hasnt caused any discomfort or.pain so didnt bother me. the soft bump just above testicle and beneath shaft checked by DR. he said just wait and see because he thinks its just fluid and should dissolve.. maybe a seroma. similar to hematoma but not hard and no blood, just fluid that pooled after op around incision site. can take 6weeks to 3mths to disappear. Apart from that bump pretty happy. will update progress of bump.

• Edited

so had my op.in feb and now its end of oct. i have fully recovered. the hard bump on testicle after.op.was xrayed and diagnosed as a hematoma. doctor said should clear up eventually and it has. sex life, erection problems, urinary problems all.back to normal. i have a small.hydrocele on right side still they never touched and it doesnt bother me.at all.

i wanted to.update because not many people.do.and i think its important to.those.out there trying to find info.like i was, and deciding to.do op.or not.

msot experiences.on here are negetive. im really sorry if people had problems after op. that is absolutely terrible. but i also.wanted to give the other side and that is it was very easy op.and recovery and i am.in a hell.of.a lot.better place now then 12.months ago.

one surgeon put me off the surgery. all doom.and gloom. . another surgeon from.same.hospital was much more positive and it was pretty much a breeze. i am happy i did it and i hope you guys will all.have success too..

I hope detailing my experiences helps someone.

good luck guys.

p.s. a couple questions to.answer. i started having sex 2 wks post op. no problems but i think i should have given myself a month off because it may have contributed to the hematoma forming a bit more and taking longer to go.

concerns over loose saggy skin or.droopy testicles. sometimes usually when wake up.occassionally my testiicles.look like they hanging loosely. bit odd looking. but not long after shower they go back to.normal.during the day. never had a problem with their appearance during sex, so not sure what causes this appearance occasionally. but it goes back to normal.quickly so.dont worry about droopy balls 😃 and the testicles are soft and full. not hard.

and no.pain during sex or.sports.

hope that clears everyones concerns up. if i had these questions im sure a lot.of.others do too 😃

• Posted

Hi Derek,

Thanks for this post. This was the last thread I read before I went in for my surgery and it put my mind at ease. I also appreciate how you gave an update 8 months later giving the final outcome. Very few people on here do and only seem to complain, leaving you wondering if, when, or how their problem got resolved.

This forum has been a great resource for me and answered so many questions I had which my doctor didn't give me a chance to ask.

Cheers mate!

• Edited

Hi friend, im Portuguese, after 4 days ago, i make a Hydrocele surgery, i discover this discussion post in google before my surgery, and you really inspiring me to make this; All time if you search heatlh problems in Internel all people write if gone wrong, and te problem it is!

After reading your report, i was more relaxed to put an end to this problem, that was slowly killing me, and now finally im so happy to resolve that!

I'm already on my 4th day of recovery and I'm feeling a new man, my left testicle, it was the size of an avocado pear, in the morning I walk better, but at the end of the night it was terrible, the discomfort I had, and I just felt the need end this ; Right now I'm recovering and I'm starting to walk better, and the pain was nothing like I feared.

I stay all days recovering in bed and need pass the time: I'm writing a diary like you, but in Portuguese, as soon as I'm more recovered I'll post it here to help future people who have the same doubts I had

you helped me a lot and i'm super grateful for that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.