Hydrocele Surgery 3.5 months ago - Hoping for some comparable situations

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 27 year old healthy male and had a hydrocelectomy 3.5 months ago on my left testicle. I had a small hydrocele that really wasn't too bad, but after 6 months of it not going away, decided to get it checked out. First thing I did after seeing my general practioner was get an ultrasound and it was confirmed as a hdyrocele. The first urologist told me he thought it was a small enough hydrocele that he did not recomend surgery unless it got bigger. He was very matter of fact and basically said it would likely not go away. I sought a second opionion and this doctor suggested I get the surgery, as it was a relativly smooth and easy procedure and that if anything it would only increase with size over time, so why not just take care of it. I agreed and had the surgery.

I had the surgery on a Thursday morning and went back to work that Tuesday. I probably could have returned Monday, but took the extra day to rest and recover. It has now been 3.5 months, and after thinking initially that my ball was returning to normal, it now seems as big if not bigger than before. It tends to increase in size when I excercise. I have a follow up with the doctor next week, but I met with his physicians assistant (the doctor was called into surgery my original appointment), he confirmed that it was excess fluid in the scortum that may have just been from when the surgery occured, or possiblity that hydrocele was back. In that scenerio, he was surpised it woudl return so quickly as the surgery was failry recent. He mentioned possibly doing the aspiration drainage procedure and made it sound relatively easy and quick. I of course will see what the doctor says next week. 

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Has the aspiration procedure worked for anyone? Has anyone had a succesful surgery where the hydrocele for the most part goes away completely? Most of the message boards i have read basically say its never the same and they learn to adapt to it... 

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone had a similar experience? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If the hydrocele was small to begin with you could have just drained it to se if it would have helped. I think your first doctor was right that you should have let it be. You get second opinion because you want to know if you really need the surgery or not, but you did the opposite (that is I think the correct thing is to listen to the one how says no surgery, you want surgery to be your last option). 

Almost all doctors say the surgery "is not a big deal", but usually it is. You have to wait until you speak with the doctor, but if he recommends surgery again then I think you should get a second opinion. 

• Posted

yup....i have had this happen and is happening now.....i had 2 hydroceles....had both removed....the right one is back to normal....the left one like yours is as large or larger than before.  had to have back.....a buddy of mine had one hydrocele and it took 12 months to go down.....for now i will wait...but i may try the draining first before another surgery.....
  • Posted

HI daniel, unfortunately I have had the same problen, I had it emptied at the doctors surgery twice which I have now been told that this is dangerous due to possible infection. When it came back within weeks it got bigger and was very uncomfortable I plumped for surgery. Had all the scans and tests , it was confirmed a hydrocele return and had the surgery, 3 weeks later it was back but they wanted to wait 3 months to see if it would be absorbed. I did not so I had surgery again and the same thing happened, I came out of hospital two weeks ago from my third operation and I think it is on its way back for a fourth time, I cannot believe this is happening again and cannot believe I am the only one this is happening to. I joined this forum this evening to try and talk to someone who has the same problem. Dont suppose this helps mate but this is what is happening to me, feel like tearing my hair out. Regards, Keith

• Posted

Quick update for anyone who cares. I went back today and saw my urologist. He attributed the increase in size to a "seroma". This is fluid that accumulates after surgery, regardless of the type. It is fairly common.

He did the asipiration which hurt a little bit but not much. My ball is pretty much normal looking as of now, but only time will tell. I have a follow up in 2 months to see how it is progressing. Crossing my fingers it doesn't return and i can move on from this. I will keep you posted, as I know i was looking for someone with a positive story to tell! 

• Posted

Hi daniel, what happen in the end? it came back or it was a seroma? Had my second surgery one week ago and i feel it's coming back. Check it with a light and I can see liquid around the testicle.

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.