Hydrocele Surgery

Posted , 69 users are following.

Hello,

I had my hydrocele surgery on February 15th, 2013 in Houston, Texas. I wanted to share my story as I was terrified before having the surgery from all the posts I read.

Mine was on my left side and was about the size of a small grapefruit. I was living with this hydrocele for about a year, but going to the gym started to get quite uncomfortable. I started to show a bulge even in my dress cloths for work. It was quite embarrassing and all I could think about was people staring at me and mumbling "whats wrong with this guy." I am married with my first child on the way so I wasn't to worried about what some single guys worry about.

The day of the surgery I was pretty terrified, I work in Healthcare so being on the other side of the privacy curtain was pretty dramatic for me. I wasn't as much scared about the surgery as I was being put to sleep. I am 27 years old, live in Texas with my pregnant wife. My entire family all reside in Indiana, as we moved down to Houston 3 years ago. I kept thinking "What if I don't wake up?", "Ill never meet my kid", "I wont get a chance to say goodbye to my family.".... I questioned the anesthesiologist for about 5 straight minutes on what I could expect. They put in an IV and started pumping me full of water to hydrate me. This did calm me down a bit, then they gave me some valium. I highly recommend this before getting put out for anyone, this really calms you down. They rolled me into the surgery part, put a gas mask on me and I was out.

The surgery took about 30 minutes and I woke up about 30 minutes after that. Obviously when you come out of being put to sleep you are very groggy and confused. I couldn't feel any pain. I got dressed and the nurse rolled me to my wifes car and we went home.

I had about 10 stitches (dissolving ones) and a drain tube inserted to help reduce swelling. The first day wasn't bad as everything was numb. When I woke up the second day I had a migraine from hell. Probably from all the drugs the day before. It was hard to walk, but I didn't have any problems peeing.

The third day the pain started to come, honestly the stitches never hurt from beginning to where I am now. The pain I had was from the drain tube. Do not be alarmed when you have a lot of blood from the drain tube for the first 3-4 days, its normal. My surgery was on Friday and the drain tube was removed on Monday.

Swelling. Lots of swelling, expect this. Swelling will most likely be bigger than what the hydrocele was before it was removed. Looked like I was carrying around a softball in my pants. It has been three weeks and the stitches are gone and the drain tube hole is closing. I still have some pain from where the drain tube was, but not to bad. I am walking fine and going back to the gym tomorrow. Swelling has gone down, but still noticable. Feels like a hard rock sitting on top of my testicle. You have to remember, the testicles and sac are very vascular. Lots of tissue and what not so you will have swelling and bruising.

The swelling is smaller now than the original hydrocele and it can take a few months to fully go away. They say people can live with a hydrocele with no long term effects other than it getting bigger, but honestly, why would you want to do this? It's not normal, so why risk anything by just accepting that it is there. Get the surgery done and move on. You will be laid out for about 4 days. I was back to work on Tuesday (Surgery on Friday). Let me know if you have any other questions, don't read into all the horror stories. Everybody's body is different and if you have a solid doctor, they will take care of you.

I was asked about costs. I am on a high deductible plan with my wife to keep our monthly premium low as we are pretty healthy people. The doctor fee was $350. The surgery center is where it gets you. For everything it was $4,900. So in total for me out of pocket was $5,200. Fortuantely I have a HSA account and had the finances in that which are all tax deductible. Just depends on the type of insurance you have. My deductible is now met, so with the little one being born all doctors visits will be paid 100% in full for the rest of the year.

Also- Find a good doctor. It's your body, so always get a second opinion. Make sure you are comfortable with the Urologist

Good luck

Matt

9 likes, 148 replies

148 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi All,

Hi 

Just wondering if this hydrocele had any impact on your fertility before operation ot were the risks to fertility because of operation told in advance.  I am due to have it completed soon.

Just wondering if any connection between hydrocele and irregular testicular function - it seems obvious that it can't be too healthy when on of my testicles is the size of a tennis ball at least and carrying that extra fluid.

Thanks,

• Posted

I just had my hydrocele yesterday. Today i went into the shower and noticed i had a tube insidemy testical. Atached to the tube was a pin. The pin was also connected to a what looks like a wire made of flesh. My doctor never told me what to do about the pin. I removed the pin from the tube and the pin fell out. I went in the shower and removed the tube. But now a a string or wire is hanging from where the tube came out. I dont know if im supposed to take that wire out or not. I feel like uf i do it might un tie my stiches. Should i remove the wire?
  • Posted

Hello Matt, my husband is 28 years old and he has had Varicocele Done on his left side, and after he had done this surgery he's balls filled with liquid, and then after 4 years, he did hydrocele surgery done about 21 days ago. About 20% of the liquid disappeared but it's still not the same as the other size. But he feels pain in his left side of his stomach, it feels like air is stuck in his stomach and it's hard. Also after he did his surgery he was getting a boner normally but then after 16 days he gets a boner and then it sleeps right after. If the hydrocele surgery went wrong and failed does this affect him by getting a boner or could this be because of something else?

• Posted

Hey Matt, just wanted to thank you for the detailed post. I have been hiding from my issue for years and your story was a big push into getting myself taken care of. To share my story I am 23 years old and it has been growing larger and larger for the past 5-6 years. It had gotten to the point of resembling a small avocado and my long term girlfriend that was way too understanding finally told me it's time to take care of business. I had been running from the issue for years assuming the worst that it was cancer and being deathly afraid of the outcome of a checkup. I was also terrified of surgery being that I have never been under the knife. I got the tests ran with a urologist and they confirmed it was a benign hydrocele and I scheduled surgery. The surgery was a breeze and way easier and faster then I imagined. I got it done 3 days ago and am recovering. I did not need a drain tube and the pain has been uncomfortable but minor thanks to an oxy prescription. I would advise anyone reading this to just face the music and get it over with. I thank my lucky stars everyday that it wasn't cancer and I didn't waste my life by prolonging the diagnosis. I am thrilled to be recovering now and will never make the mistake of waiting to get help ever again! Modern medicine is amazing and they make it a walk in the park to get taken care of! If I was reading my own message a year ago I would have begged myself to just get it over with. I'm extatic to have it behind me now! Life is short, why waist any more time worrying and letting it effect you! Anyone reading this please feel free to message me for questions or advise, the juice is worth the squeeze gentlemen!! I truly have a new lease on life and I suggest everyone else to follow in our footsteps and take your life back! smile

• Posted

Hello guys,

I read your forum befor my hidrocele surgery, and now I would like to share my experience with you.

I had my surgery 1 month ago, in Brazil (yes, sorry about my english, I need to improve it).

So, today my surgery looks pretty fine, before the surgery my right side looked like an orange (big orange), but now my bag is very near from the normal size before I have this problem.

After the surgery I was very worried, mainly I saw your post here.

But the recovery was very good, each day the swelling decreased (imediatly after surgery the size was almost the same than before, that was my biggest worry).

Today I am almost one hundred per cent happy, I had sex with one girl and she don't realize nothing unusual, I can use my old clothes again and go to the gym.

I think the results of this kind of surgery vary in each case, so I wanted share my case here.

Thanks for your atention and infirmation shared here.

Best regards.

• Posted

Hi Matt,

I just had the hydrocele surgery on 12/19/16 and it is now the 23rd. I have a lot of swelling and it's almost engulfing the penis. I don't have any pain or drainage and did not have a drain tube. I know it is only 4 days post surgery, but I am already frustrated. How long is the swelling going to last. I have been laying low and icing. I also began antibiotics on my own since I have heard infections can happen. How long before my swelling goes down a bit or at least around my penis? I think swelling is my only concern right now. There is no pain, but just a pain in the ass to walk..... it feels abnormal

• Posted

Hello Mark!

I've been watching in this forum for ovary year as my husband had needed the same surgery.

He of course swore he was never going to do it but honestly it got to the point where come on ....(unless you want ajob in the circus)... you should have it done!

So I will tell you that November 18 of this year was THE day!!

All went well with the surgery and we were back home by lunch time!!

His postop instructions were that he was not allowed to shower until Monday ....he had the surgery on Friday. He was all bandage down there and was told that when he was in the shower on Monday the bandage would come off and the drain would come out.

(( the drain my husband described to me was like a long thread))

He had very little pain or discomfort that ice couldn't control...( he did take one pain pill when he got home).... but I think a lot of that was mind over matter and the fact that he was scared that once the anesthesia wore off he be in whopping discomfort ....(which was not the case)

He was amazed that Friday night he could sit outside on our side deck with me and actually cross his legs something he was not able to comfortably do for .....who in the heck knows ?over a year???!

Preop he was probably the size of a large navel orange I'd say...(large naval orange)!

Over the next couple of days after the surgery the tighter fitting sports under armor briefs gave him the most comfort.

He did get very black and blue and there was some swelling for a week or two that brought him in the area of about half of what he used to be prior to the surgery.

He was told not to lift anything heavier than a milk jug for six weeks.

I kind of knew that as cautious as he was being he would spring back quicker than that because he has a business owner and he has a very physical job!

He returned to work on Tuesday.

Today the day beforr Christmas Eve and I reminded him that he never made his six-week postop recheck because the doctors office was leaving a message on our answering machine.

I'd say he probably used ice when he would get home from work for probably the entire week after his surgery ....but other than that he said he regrets that he did not have this surgery sooner!!!

He feels so so so much better and everything appears to look pretty normal to myself as well!!

Your experience sounds a little dicey ?

I would definitely caution you to make sure you take all of your antibiotics but maybe a follow up call to the doctor might be in order??

I hope all goes well with you I know it's a sensitive subject!!

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I just went to the doctors office and he said that it looks good and that there is no bleeding or bruising. He said that the swelling is normal and can affect differently from person to person. I have no pain and really took no pain medications as pain was not too bad. I guess I was just concerned with swelling as it is a private area and sensitive at that. I am walking like JOHN Wayne with my legs spread open and I just don't want anything to cause trauma to the area. I'm glad your husband had a successful surgery and I am hoping mine is also and that I am just going through a little bump in the road. Thank you again for replying

• Posted

Glad it's not serious! Wear the tight fitting sports underwear! That is possibly the ticket! The tighter the shorts the more fluid the body will reabsorb?? (( that's my non-professional opinion!) Good Luck!

• Posted

well I had my hydrocele done 11/12/16  I had quite a bit of pain before my surgery and now I understand it's coming from the epididymis and vas deferens or  spermatic cord  yesterday on 12/23  I seen my GP for a follow up my right testicle is still swollen about the size of a hardball and the pain is still there she has  ordered a new ultrasound and prescribed Levofloxacin 750MG  for 10 days then I wake up this morning and most of the swelling is gone very confusing  I have dealt with this since I had a turp on 3/28/16  and before that I had my right kidney removed on 3/08/16 had cancer been a rough year hopefully 2017 will be better!!

• Posted

Hello Matt,

Just the other other day i notice my scrotum was enlarged but no pain, i chalked it up as a playful injury with my grand child.  Howeve that evening, i noticed that it had gotten larger and by the next morning, it was huge and getting bigger.  but oddly enough still no pain.  My scrotum feels like its filled with fluids like someone left the faucet on.  all of this in a matter of 2 days and now the discomfort i am feeling is when i try to walk or urinate.

I am currently in between jobs and my insurance coverage has lapsed.    Do you know what the cost would be to have surgery done (hydrocelectomy).

• Posted

I'm in the states not sure where you are from but here it costs roughly $10,000.

• Posted

I'm also in the states (Texas).  Total cost to include hospital and etc...

• Posted

I have yet to receive a bill for my surgery. I did it at an outpatient clinic, which I am sure saved hospital costs. I will advise once I receive bill. If it is that large, try tight fitting underwear or a jockstrap. It will help re absorb fluid. Many times it will go away and you won't have to worry about it. It does seem strange that it happened that quickly. Mine was over a period of time. Keep in touch

• Posted

hii smh, 

please tell me how long it will takes to get resize of our tesities as small

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.