Hydrocele surgery -Read me for fair a thorough review

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone! I just had hydrocele surgery Wednesday morning (29APR15) at 730am.

Background- I am 23 years old, athlete, and weight lifter. I had a hydrocele repair at age 14 it was the inguinal repair. It never fully went away and I think I rushed thehealing process with sports. Over the years of sports and stuff it has not changed in size much more but it was a muticoluar hydrocele, so it was hard and thicked walled and more complicated than a simple hydrocele. It was about 2.5x bigger than the left side and it had a few squishy lumps, no girl or any guy in the shower ever commented on it so it must have not looked too bad haha. Well I finally man'd up and decided to have it fixed. 

Two days prior: called the hospital monday night and they said to get there at 6am wednesday morning!!! I was a train wreck! Believe me when I tell you the worst part of the whole procedure was Tuesday and tuesday night! I went through that surgery 50000 times in my head going through every possible scenario.

Gameday: Got up at 445am and my mom drove me to the hospital, I was actually suprisingly calm and had somewhat accepted my fate. Got to the hospital around 605am signed some papers and put on the gown and laid down in the bed-cart at about 630am. At 7 am some guy wheeled me off and my mom said her good-byes. I was being wheeled into a holding area I think with all the other unlucky victims waiting for ther surgery. I signed more papers, talked to my surgeon, and then the anastesiologist put in the IV. This was kind of crappy cause we all were waiting there with our IVs just waiting to get pulled into the operating room. I had no drugs or anything in me. Finally at about 740 it was my time rolleyes. They wheeled me in the operating room and put in some stuff to make me feel pretty good. I then was told to go onto the operating table, I had about 75% consciousness. they then put a gas mask on me and told me to take 5 breaths, I did that and then they said they were adding some sedative. Next thing I knew I was chatting up the nurse and I think getting on her nerves haha. It was like a mixture of the drugs and euphoria of it being done. Soon after I was wheeled back to my mom, I had to pee and then they took out the IV, no problem with urination. Dont worry boys, no catheter. We finally got discharged at about 1230pm.

Recovery/Pain- Yes, they cut open you sac, it sounds worse than it is. I am on day 3 and only take half doses of the pill so I think I have taken 2 pain pills this whole time. It is very swollen and I think it is deffinitely improving, but I am trying not to look down there cause it does make me kinda sad. Get stool softners ie. mira-lax and plenty of ice. I made that mistake the first surgery. Any questions let me know I will be happy to help, I read some horror reviews here and was terrified so I am letting you know it will be okay and for me pain was very minimal.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

6.5 weeks post op.... Both testicles are same size you can't tell a difference, but if I examine very closely there is residual swelling above my right nut about the size of a marble but it is decreasing... Loose skin starting to tighten up... Resumed physical activities a few weeks ago.. Wound completely healed and I have had no pain for weeks.. I would say another 6 weeks and everything will be 100% like I never had a hydrocele
    • Posted

It's a hematoma it's just blood build up they say it will eventually be reabsorbed by the body which is why it's getting smaller.Your lucky my nut is still the size of an egg and im almost 6 months post op now im friggin p*ssed, im just waiting a few more weeks then going to visit a different urologist. Im sure I will be told there is nothing they can do as it is the actual nut that is big but I want to know why this happened as my original doc did 2 of these operations on it and cant tell my why my nut stayed so big and he had 35 years experience and said he had done thousands of hydrocelectomy's.
  • Posted

Hey Mike,

I have followed your posts. Glad to hear you are back to normal. I have a scheduled surgery for July 31. I have have trouble sleeping due to the size, which is the size of a baseball. Mine is from prostrate surgery, All we can do is to encourage others and you are proof of success.

Be well

• Posted

Thanks God speed...This nuisance will be past you in no time
  • Posted

Hi Mike.  Your posts have been so helpful.  I just found this site, and was reading up on your progress.  It is nice to hear that things are going in a positive direction.  Keep the posts coming as there are probably more people following this than you can imagine.

My story is somewhat simple for now.  About six months ago I went to a urologist here in NYC and was diagnosed with hydrocele.  I never heard of it before, but was somewhat relieved that it was not something much worse.  Doctor told me to follow up in a month and told me to wear support in the meantime.  After the next follow up, we discussed how I was feeling and I said greatly improved since wearing the support.  He told me to follow up in four months with him.  My next follow up is in about two weeks from now and I am noticing that the hydrocele (left side) is larger in size and more noticeable than before.  Since I am beyond scared (terrified is more like it) of any type of surgery, I may inquire about the aspiration.  But for now I will just wait.  I understand that waiting is an option, but for how long?

Again, much thanks for your comments and my best to you for a speedy and heathy recovery.  You are very brave.

Regards, Jay.

• Posted

Thank you!! I can tell you it is well worth it as I am 2 months post op! If it is only going to continue to get worse and you will eventually get the surgery anyway don't suffer with it unnecessarily. I think it must obviously annoy you if your going to the doctor and coming to this website. So, I know its not what you necessarily want to hear, but schedule the surgery and in 2 months you will have a normal pair.
  • Posted

2 months Update: No restrictions whatsoever. Healed well, still hot compress once in a while as there is a little thickness above it that may be scar tissue but Im trying to get rid of it completely. The balls look completely normal, but like the doctor said the may look normal but they may never feel exactly the same. All in all I am extremely satisfied and Ill post again in one month. Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi Mike,

How long before you could drive comfortably? My husband is scheduled to have his operation next Thursday, and we were supposed to leave on vacation on the 3rd of Aug. About 7 hours driving.  He is very nervous that we won't be able to go, Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.