Hydrocelectomy experience 5 days post op

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi guys, just thought I'd share my hydrocelectomy experience with all you guys and hopefully shed some light on what it is like.

I'm 15 years old. During a regular check up with our paediatrician he noticed that I had a hydrocele. I hadn't noticed this at all, and infact thought that the other testicle was underdeveloped and that one was normal size (stupid me.) He booked me in for an ultrasound that afternoon to check that the testicle was normal and that it was in fact a hydrodele. They confirmed a right hydrocele, roughly the size (maybe bigger of an egg.) They said wait 3 months and see if it goes away. It didn't.

I was referred to a urologist. After he met us he explained the procedure and told us that he once had a guy with this problem who only came to him after he couldn't put his pants on anymore which I thought was crazy!

Fast forward to last week. Arrived at the hospital at 6:45 am, met with the anesthesiogist who asked some questions, then got changed into the hospital clothes, walked into the OR and they put me under.

Awoke in the operating room with a bit of pain. They gave me a gram of panadol and a Fentanyl tablet, which made my face pretty itchy but the doc said it was normal. After a while I was wheeled into the hospital room where I stayed that night. Sleep did not come easy because sleeping on my stomach or side wasn't an option, so I uncomfortably slept on my back and got awoken by nurses at about 5 am to check my blood pressure, etc.

Met with the urologist that morning who said that the operation went fantastically and to meet him in 2-3 weeks time and I could remove the dressings and shower.

Walking out the hospital was quite hard due to the swelling. Had to kind of spread my legs a bit and walk cowboy style which sucks.

Now 5 days post op my walking is improving. Swelling is worse than the initial hydrocele but that's okay.

In terms of medicine I am on a course of antibiotics which I am supposed to take 3 times a day with meals. For the first 2 days I took 2 panadol tablets every 6 hours but now I don't really need it.

Unfortunately the antibiotics gave me a... Yeast infection... So I have to rub cream on.. It 3 times a day as well as take a probiotic tablet (inner health plus).

Would I say this surgery is worth it? Right now.. Not really. I am having way more difficulty walking now than I did pre op but I am sure I will improve.

Please tell me if your experience was similiar or if you have any questions please don't hesitate and I will answer them as soon as I can.

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I am 34years old.

I had my hydrocelectomy on Friday 18/Sep/2020. Didn't feel any pain for the next two days. Changed the wound dressing after 48hrs. It was bloody. No swelling or redness at the surgical wound. But, I am having severe pain at the surgical site since postop day 4. It's better when I lay down but get worse during scrotal contraction. Also, slight fresh bleeding when I stand up. Pain is unbearable. Tried Tylenol 3 which is prescribed by urologist. But not helping at all. I am on my postop day 5. No improvement on pain. No swelling or redness but bleeds a little when I stand.

Please any advise or suggestions.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Tyler

You can read my full story here but I had on op and I went from and egg to a small lemon, bigger after the op and 4 weeks later he says it had come back.

Had second op two weeks ago only they put a thin rubber tube and sew around it so the fluid seeps out not build up.

First op the testicle still floated freely and the second op It is fused up into my grion with 2/3s the surface of the testicle has scrotum fused to it.

Good luck

• Posted

hello guys. I am 2 days after surgery and am at home. Doctor told me to support my scrotum. How do I support it? I have a big ball to put under but it is not very effective. should I wear underwear (wearing only pijama), i only have boxers. Or do i let my scrotum carry all the weight?

• Posted

Hi all , i have been going round in circles googling things and read some of these posts and thought someone might be able to help . i had my Op 3 days ago and pain has eased a little bit but i can feel something firm and flat inside my scrotum and wondered if anyone had has this. like a small fried egg. still very swollen down there it has even spread to my penis..... anyway hopefully someone can shed some light. Thanks all! j

• Posted

Hello guys Im 16 and very scared about all of this.

• Posted

I'm 66 years old and have had a hydrocele for the past year, it is starting to be uncomfortable do you guys recommend having the surgery, I live alone and I'm a bit nervous of the recovery time and complications. any advice would be welcome. thanks.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing... I had my surgery on Thursday. I am now about 3 the size I was before. I am putting ice packs on constantly. I learned a technique for ice. I put two parts water and one part isopropyl alcohol. Water only freezes at 32 Deg. This stuff freezes much colder.

In 1997, I had surgery, but I was not aware before it happened, or after. This is the first time I was awake and alert for the start, and for the post-op. Aside from the fact that it was surgery, it was a very pleasurable experience.

At 74, this is an experience I very much would have preferred not to have had!!!

• Edited

I created an account just to share my experience. i had my Hydrocelectomy yesterday on my left testicle. I was super nervous about the surgery as i never had surgery before -let alone under any general anesthesia.

I'll start from the beginning:

Going into the OP room I was given an overview of what was going to happen. They inserted the IV in my hand (yikes! 😩) and told me a breathing tube would be inserted while I was put under anesthesia and then moved me into the surgery room.

I was laid down I was told to breathe in 10 deep breaths as he put on oxygen (?) mask. I remember counting to 3 and not remembering a thing.

I woke up extremelyt woosy and in no pain. The area where the surgery was done was packed with gauze and was in a jockstrap. I was given an icepack and off home I

went. 3 flights of stairs till I got to my apartment.

I was prescribed Tylenol with codeine (300MG).

I came home and went to sleep for about 2 hours. woke up and felt a little discomfort in the affected area. I stayed home all day with my normal routine (not lifting anything), walked around with nothing but discomfort.

Last night wasn't to bad. I normally sleep on my stomach but last night I had to sleep on my back. Sleeping on my back always made my back ache. I took the prescribed pain killer just in case I rolled over my stomach or side.

I woke up a couple of times on the morning as my back was aching and finally realized I can put a pillow in between my legs to sleep on my side comfortably. Finally woke up with minimal discomfort.

As I type this, i have minimal discomfort. I haven't used the ice packs but still have the gauze and jock strap on that was provided by the OR. I was able to pee normally, however, haven't figured out how to poo without taking off the jock strap and gauze.

I was told not to take off it off

nor shower until Friday which is tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.