Hydrocelectomy experience (UK)

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Hydrocele experience started in late 2019. Following an inguingal hernia repair and a prostate biopsy, I started noticing that my left testicle was growing. I don't know whether the origin was related to the previous procedures but I suspect it may have been connected with the hernia repair.

Had an ultrasound which diagnosed the problem as a hydrocele rather than anything worse and since it was small it was suggested I ignore it unless it became a problem. Well, gradually it did, growing to the size of a lemon by early 2022 and continuing to get bigger to something approaching grapefruit size by November 2022. The hydrocele had never been painful, but at that size it's unsightly, irritating and a barrier to sex and problematic for cycling.

During that period I attended the Urology clinic at Guy's hospital and was put on the list for surgery which happened two days ago.

I was told that because the hydrocele was large, they would probably insert a drain (short plastic tube) and keep me in hospital overnight rather than discharging me on the same day. Immediately after the operation, I was told they had removed a pint of fluid (so ~440ml).

No pain after the procedure and no obvious swelling. The drain was removed the next morning and I was discharged, still pain-free.

I'm now approaching 48 hours from the operation and there's some evident swelling or fluid accumulation on the left side of my scrotum but little bruising and still no pain. I've been given a course of antibiotics and pain relief (just paracetamol), though the latter has been unnecessary so far. I'm comfortable, can walk, sit and sleep and if things continue like this, I'll be delighted. I was particularly concerned about post-operative pain and so far I have had none.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

An update from me, a just over two weeks on.

I took things very easily for the first week, with the surgery wound leaking a little blood and possibly other fluid. Replaced the dressing regularly. At one week, some bruising and a little swelling still apparent, but during week two this seems to have disappeared.

Today is day 17 and the wound is healing well, stitches still visible, a trace of fluid on the dressing, but no sign of recurrence of the hydrocele. Pain free and everyday activities pretty much back to normal - all good.

I won't update any further unless something interesting happens (let's hope not!). I've no regrets whatsoever on having the surgery done and I'm grateful to the excellent NHS staff I was lucky enough to have look after me during the whole process.

• Posted

Glad to hear your operation was a success! im 6 days post op and im not overly happy with the result and was hoping for your advice as you mentioned there was signed of fluid build up.

i had a right hydrocele and my scrotum now looks like it has 3 testicles in. the right testicle is now at the bottom of my scrotum with no pain however above it there is another shape which i believe to be a build up of fluid about the size of a testicle. ive done the light test and it looks like its fluid as it glows and my right side groin is quite tender to press down on.

could toy please talk to me more about your accumulation of fluid, what it looked like and if it has been resolved? my nut bag is looking seriously bad at the moment and its scaring me a bit

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.