Hydrocortisone and Thyroid medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

Greetings

biggrin

I started using Cortef S a week ago due to low Cortisol levels.  I am taking Synthroid a T4 and tried to introduce Cytomel T3.  Due to low saliva cortisol results started Hydrocortisone so that I can address my T3 levels later on.

I am taking 7.5mg of Cortef at 7 am, 5 at 10am, 5 at 1Pm and 5 at 4Pm.  slowly I manage to stay awake during the day and am able to stay up until around 9 Pm the last three days.

Would I need to start taking less of my T4 as I continue with the Hydrocortisone?   I still find at times I feel very cold and about 30 minutes after taking the Cortef I start to feel warmer again.

How long will I need to be on this dose before my body temperature will stabilize.  

I tried to switch to Tyrosint and gluten free T4 but started to become very dizzy, shaky and when cold or tense my whole body shakes and I also notice spasm in my right arm that often is very irritating, especially when I hold something in my right hand.   Should I reduce my thyroid hormone.  I have reverse T3 but not too bad.  My outcome is 27 and lab range is up to 20.

Thanks for anyone who responds

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Of course I'm not a doctor, but have experience with thyroid and adrenal combo.  It takes much longer than a week to feel results that are noticeable enough and that you  would call improvements. Ever so gradually did I improve on well being, noticing that I could do more, go for longer walks, could concentrate better, felt safer and more in control of driving my car.  A bundle of almost sutle things.   
    • Posted

Dear hanny

Thanks sooo much - I am glad to see about the gradual improvement.  I look forward to feeling warmer and more energetic and realize I just need to give the Hydrocortisone a chance since I have only been on it for 10 days now. 

I used to live in South Africa then Hong Kong both wonderful warm countries.  Being in the USA now do find the loooonnnng cooler winter months difficult and am sure that too had an impact on my overall body health and thyroid issues.  

I just ordered a light box LOL and will use that to see if I can reset my bodyclock to adjust to the not so new life in the US.  Been here just over three years but eesssh do miss the warm balmy days of the South African sun and brighter winter days.  Winter days in South Africa would be cold but sunny.

But hey I love the US which now is my new home.

• Posted

Hi Elize, you dont say what your cortisol levels are registering at at the moment. Mine were originally down to 16 nmol but have now gradually increased (through steroid hydrocortisone help to 123 nmol). Still a way to go as ideally should be 300+. How are you checking your levels?
    • Posted

Dear Melanie.  At the moment my cortisol level is 11.9.

DHEA low at 19.5. Ref range 29.4 - 220.5

Yet when I take DHEA I feel very tired will try again once.  I have been on Hydrocortisone longer.

My FT3 2.6 and my doctor would like to see it around 3.7. ref range 2.0 - 4.4

My FT4 is ok at 1.51 ref range .82 - 1.77

I had saliva cortisol tests done and all over morning, afternoon and evening all are low.  

I find I still feel cold but I need to give the Hydrocortisone a chance as I have only been on it for 10 days now.

• Posted

Hi Elize.. just wondered how it worked out for you and also when do you take your T4 and T3 meds?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.