Hydrodilatation - my experience

Posted , 76 users are following.

I've decided to start another thread on here to document my experiences with Hyrodilatation (also spelled Hydrodilation or known as Arthrographic Distension) and how well it works for me over the next few weeks or so.

A brief background, in case anyone didn't read my original thread.  I started with odd pains in my shoulder in spring, this year, with no apparant cause and I assumed I'd just pulled a muscle or something like that and hoped it would go away on it's own.  It got worse over the summer and I also started to lose movement. I had the usual excrutiating pain on knocks or jerks and aches right down my arm.  Pain, lack of sleep and loss of movement finally drove me to the GP in September where I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder.  I managed to seek physiotherapy with Bupa (or I'd still be on the NHS waiting list) and was recommended by a physio to see a consultant with a view to Hydrodilatation.

I had my Hydrodilatation this afternoon - 14th December.  A few hours on and I'm feeling fine.  I was very nervous but the procedure itself went well and took 15-20 minutes in total.  I'd worn a vest top, which meant I didn't need to wear a gown and just dropped my straps off my bad shoulder.  I was asked to lie on my front, with a pillow for support.  I'd thought the procedure was done via x-ray guidance but it was in fact ultrasound guided.  The doctor explained what was about to happen and did an initial scan of my shoulder area before giving me a local anaesthetic.  He then put in the needle for the hydrodilatation, which administered first some cortisone and then saline.  He said I might feel some pushing and to let him know if it became painful.  There was some discomfort but I wouldn't describe it as painful and within a few minutes, he said the saline had started to leak out of the joint and the procedure was over.  He did another scan and checked my movement before and after - there was perhaps a couple of degrees improvement but nothing drastic.  I left the hospital with a plaster on my shoulder and feeling fine.  He said I might experience a bit of aching once the local anaesthetic wears off but the cortisone should kick in within a day or two and should improve things pain-wise.

Physiotherapy is recommended within a few days of the procedure and I have an appointment with the physio on Friday morning and another to see the consultant again in about 6 weeks.  So far, so good but it remains to be seen how sucessful it has been in improving pain and getting my movement back.  I can currently lift my arm about 90 degrees in front, slightly less at the side and very little behind my back.

I will document my progress over the next few days and weeks, for anyone else considering this treatment.  Hope this information is of help to someone and fingers crossed that the procedure works for me!

8 likes, 220 replies

220 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just wondering what makes people choose hydro dilation over anthroscopic keyhole surgery. My whole arm aches forearm fingers feel like I can't cope with life anymore, plus have a rotator cuff tear tendinitis burs titis in opposite arm.
    • Posted

As Claire says, it is less invasive and very safe.  It's done by an injection  - no surgery, keyhole or otherwise, so no general anaesthetic or recovery time.  Done in about 15 minutes at an out-patients clinic.   My consultant claims very good results for it at his clinic with 90% getting improvement in pain relief and 70% in movement.  You'd need to ask a consultant about whether it is suitable, if other conditions exist but for a frozen shoulder it is well worth trying, if it is available where you are.
    • Posted

I became so depressed from the pain, lack of sleep, and nobody knowing what was wrong with it. It completely ruined life!
  • Edited

I've just read your threads with interest.  My physio has now recommended that my doctor refers me to the local shoulder clinic to see a consultant about having a Hydrodilatation.  I have had my frozen shoulder since about July 2015. I didn't go to the doctors until November and he referred me to the Physio.  After a couple of sessions I was given a cortisone injection the week before Christmas, which worked wonders. following Christmas I was admitted to hospital due to developing an infected carrabuncal in my stomach, caused by my insulin pump cannula. This was removed, and left a large gapping wound which is having to be packed and dressed every other day.  This has caused me some problems as it on the opposite side to my FS and I am now unable to sleep on this side now.  The injection has warn off now and the pain is back and feels 100% worse than before. The physio informed me I have less movement now than when I first went to her.  I am willing to try anything now.  It hasn't affected me going to work and I haven't taken time off for this.  I just keep popping the pills and hope that they take the edge off the pain.  I've been told it will take approximately two weeks to get my appointment with the consultant and then approximately 4 weeks to get the appointment date for the procedure. It's going to feel like the longest time. I am at the doctors tomorrow to discuss the referral, but also yo get some stronger painkillers, can anybody recommend painkillers, other than paracetamol and codeine please.  I will keep you update with my progress.
    • Posted

Nicola, I found Tramdol fantastic, but they say they are addictive albeit I DID NOT find myself wanting or needing more than one just before bed. I did take 2 for a while thinking I would be able to sleep through, however I woke with the WORST headache sad and reverted to just the one. I fiddled with them for a while nd one in the morning would see me through unitl about 3pm and then I used my TENS machine until 8pm when I took the second one for night time. 

HTH!

• Edited

Hi Nicole I found Co codamol really helped but I would take it whilst in bed because it makes you feel very spaced out and dizzy but it certainly puts you in to an oblivious deep sleep!!
    • Posted

It's a familiar story and so many of us put off going to the doctor, as we don't know what it is and assume it is something that will go away on it's own.  If your stiffness has got worse, it sounds like yout shoulder is still freezing up.  I believe mine had reached the frozen stage when I had my hydrodilatation done - but was told the sooner it is done. the better.  It was my physio that recommended I had this, after seeing good results - including his own mother!   I was lucky enough to have access to Bupa, so got my appointment very quickly.  The NHS doesn't seem to give any priority to people in pain, where it isn't life-threatening.

As for painkillers I took Ibuprofen and co-codamol at night.  The doctor prescribed me Naproxen but they made me queasy and after I read up on them, didn't want to take them for fear of side-effects.  Nothing completely took the pain away but they took the edge off a bit.  My V-shaped pillow helped me to find a less uncomfortable position to sleep - though it took a time to get used to trying to sleep on my back and propped up.

Good luck with the hydrodilatation Nicola!  Don't be worried about it, the procedure is quick and not painful.  Let us know how you go on.

• Posted

I am very interested in this but I was only offered a key hole surgery option I am still recovering. after four months. Where can one get hydrodilatation done??????????
    • Posted

which country are you in? If you are in the UK Maria's post gives details. If you are in Australia I found a place in Qld and NSW. Not sure about the States?
    • Posted

I hope you get sorted. I might just add that while hydodilation works for some (many) the extent of the FS is important. If you have extensive adhesion and a very shrunken capsule around the joint then hydrodilation is less effective and capsular release is recomended.
  • Posted

I realised today that it is now exactly 6 months since my hydrodilatation, so thought I'd post an update.  I'm pleased to say, it is all pretty positive, so I hope it gives some hope to those of you still suffering - things will get better in time.

6 months on, life is back to normal for me and most days I don't even think about my shoulder.  My movement is back to around 80-90% - difficult to guage exactly - the small amount that's missing doesn't actually stop me from doing anything and it's continuing to return gradually.  I'm not in pain and can sleep - I still find it a little uncomfortable to lie with all my weight on my right shoulder but can find a comfortable position on that side and don't wake up aching in the morning.

In terms of excercising, I'm far from regular with this but when I think about it, I do some gentle stretching, windmills, etc - anything that rotates the joint (and I am doing this for both shoulders).  I don't push beyond what feels comfortable.  I haven't had any physiotherapy since December  - the physio dismissed me, told me to excercise at home and only come back if I have problems.  I can fasten my bra, put up my hair and reach the high shelves in the kitchen.  I can mow the lawn, vacuum the house (unfortunately, I no longer have an excuse) and do most things I've always done.  What I do avoid is carrying anything too heavy, as I tend to feel this afterwards - thank goodness for supermarket online shopping and home delivery services.

In terms of my other shoulder, it currently feels OK.  One reason I opted for hydrodilatation was that I'd had twinges in my left shoulder and didn't want to end up with 2 frozen shoulders.  Since then, I've had a few times when I was convinced that it was freezing up.  I'd get that heavy, aching feeling and it started to feel uncomfortable to sleep on.   As I don't like sleeping on my back, I'd spend more of the night sleeping  on the left side and wondered if that might be an issue - or maybe over using that arm to compensate for anything I couldn't yet do with my right arm.  Each time, by being careful not to aggravate my left shoulder, it seemed to get better after a few weeks.  I also made sure I excercised both arms equally, to try to keep both shoulders moving.  Whether my shoulder was simply complaining of overuse or my body had managed to stave off the freezing process, I have no way of knowing.  I also wondered if my continued HRT, is now giving my body the means to stave it off - it's certainly made me feel more normal in other ways.  It's all just guesswork but, fingers crossed, both shoulders are pretty much OK at the moment and I can get on with enjoying my life.

I do remember those dark days (and especially nights) when I was in pain and the sheer frustration when I couldn't do something.  I hope it won't happen to my other shoulder but for the moment I'm hopeful.  It's been about 14 months since I first noticed shoulder ussues - difficult to say exactly when it started - but I'm largely back to normal now and the last 6 months, since hydrodilatation (and coincidentally or not, when I started back on my HRT) have been pain free and a steady recovery of movement.  

Good luck to all of you that are still suffering - it's such an awful condition but it will get better in time.  I know I've been relatively lucky in the length of time to get better compared to some on here - but it will get better in time.

• Posted

Hi Maria I had my hdrodilation yesterday at BMI Alexandra hospital in Cheadle, after a fall in late January 2017 I fractured my humerus bone which caused impingement so after keyhole surgery in May nothing changed, I now have gone down the line of hdrodilation, today not even 24hrs after procedure there seems to be slight improvement when lifting my arm, I too where my hair up and have been managing to twist my hair at the back with one hand then bend my head down so I can hold the end of my hair down with my bad arm and place the clip in position with my good arm (hard work but I get there), I would really love to just be able to wear my hair in a ponytail with a bobble which is just not happening as I can't hold my hair in position at the back of my head with my left hand (this is my bad arm), your posts have given positivity so hopefully there is light at the end of my tunnel too thank you

• Posted

You can't be far from me - I had my follow up appointment at the Alex, the first time round.  Could be the same consultant or at least part of that team.

First time round when my shoulder was badly frozem, it took a month or so to get to the point of putting my hair up - little achievments but amazing how much they can mean to us and positive pointers that we are getting better!  For me it was a slow and steady regain of my ROM - but to lose the pain was the best result.  Hope you have a good and sympathetic physio - mine in Wiilmslow has suffered a frozen shoulder herself, so knows what we're going through.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I go back to my physio (nhs) 23rd August, he didn't think I should have had hydrodilation he said it was jumping steps and should go for just the steroid injection, I actually listened to him and phoned Mr Wasseems secretary up to ask for steroid injection first, I'm so glad they talked me round. I don't know if I'm jumping the gun but I've not had any aching feeling since I've had it done because they said I would after the local anaesthetic wore off, I take it it's wore off by now?

• Posted

Hi i had my hydrodialtion 3 weeks ago this Tuesday

With the exercise i ha e more movement but the pain is still there

In fact its worse o er the last 3 nights

Any advice??

• Posted

Stick with it. I too had pain after my Hydro' but is has got a lot better.

I kept up with the physio as advised, almost all good now apart from raising my arm up my back.

Pain catches me occasionally when I try to do my bra up so atm I do my bra up in the front.

I wnt give up tho!!

It is about 7/8 weeks post hydro for me.

Complication of a badly broken wrist has not helped I guess.

Good luck to you, it will improve but keep doing the exercises.

Good health

• Posted

Hi Lyn - have you sorted out your excercise regime now? I know at one point you were doing so every 20 minutes and I fear this may have done more harm than good.  I'd give it a rest for a day or two, to give it chance to settle down and keep the excercising gentle and a maximum 3 times a day.

• Posted

Hi maria

Im now doing exercise 3 times a day only short and gentle

My physio advised to cut down, it was the surgeon who did the hydrodialtion originally who told me every 20 mins

Im bqck to see the physio again tuesday

Im happy with the progress in regards to rom but the pain is still bad at night?

• Posted

Hi

How long before pain eased?

I can get my arm up 120 degrees but cant behind my back i get the excruciating pain it feels like that will never b right ?

• Posted

HI Pompom,I hope you don't mind me getting in touch. I have FS after a bad break and being treated at the Alex we are looking at hdrodilation in Feb 2018 if my bone has healed. It's been 3 months since my accident already but really struggling with movement despite twice weekly physio sessions. I've heard lots of bad stories regards how painful the procedure is can you let me know how tbe procedure was and if you would recommend it,can you also let me know how you FS is now. Its so frustrating not being able to put my hair in a pony asked my husband for help, he's really not good at ponytail haha.

Kindest regards

• Posted

Hi Karen - I assume you mean the Alex in Cheadle?  If so, it will be the same team as Prof Funk - I saw him at Wilmslow, where I had my procedures done but had one of the follow ups at the Alex.  I've had hydrodilatation twice now, once on each shoulder (2 and a half years apart).  The first shoulder was very badly frozen and painful, the second one (earlier this year) I got treated much earlier, as I recognised the symptoms.  Neither procedure was painful - at most a little discomfort.  After the first, I was pain free within 2 days but as I was so badly frozen, it took some months to gradually regain most of my movement.  With the second, as I was treated early, the treatment went well  - I hadn't lost so much movement and regained that pretty quickly.  

Good luck - it worked very well for me both times, at different stages of frozen shoulder.  Let us know how you get on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.