hydrodilation booked

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have hydrodilation booked in a few days.  How much pain should I expect?  I mean, i'm already in a great deal of pain, but will this get worse before it gets better?  Did it hurt to et done? (be honest!).  What was the recovery time like?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've had hydrodilatation twice - once for each shoulder.  The first time was for a very badly frozen shoulder - the second time I recognised the symptoms much earlier and got early treatment.  Some have different experiences but for me, the treatment was slightly uncomfortable but not painful and I got relief from the frozen shoulder pain within a couple of days.  The procedure itself takes no more than about 5 minutes - about 15 minutes for the whole appointment.  My experiences, both times, were documented on here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hydrodilatation-my-experience-489438

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/here-we-go-again--595148

Good luck - I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.  Let us know how you go on.

• Posted

I had hydrilation at the end of January and whilst uncomfortable it was not painful I did get that much pain after but don't expect a huge improvement straight away it takes a week to start working and the the increase in movement is gradual I can only now get my arm up but not above my head yet but there is very little pain I now have symptoms in my other should so think this is going the same way so when I see my consultant at the end of the month I am going to see if I can have the hydrilation in this shoulder sooner - hope it all goes well for you x

• Posted

thanks very much!  Honestly, I just want relief from the pain right now.  Nothing is takin the edge off.  I'm catching it very early on, maybe only a month into the severe pain stage, not too much freezing yet.  This is my second frozen shoulder so I knew what it was right away.

• Posted

Good luck Sarah!!  I'm too scared to have this procedure done, though I don't think I'm in as much pain as you are in.  Please let us know how it goes and how you are recovering.

• Posted

I was scared when I had it done first time - but it seemed a lot less invasive procedure than the likes of MUA or any of the operations involving a general anaesthetic and I was anxious to get rid of the pain and be able to sleep again.  The whole appointment takes 15-20 minutes, with the actual procedure being over in about 5 minutes - probably less time than being in the dentists chair.  It wasn't painful for me and was well worth it, to get rid of the pain and start recovery from the freezing.  

• Posted

Okay just had it done. There is local anesthesia so it didn't hurt too much. It is sore now a couple hours later. The doctor said he had never done it on someone in such an early stage (I'm at the peak of the pain phase, barely any passive freezing yet). I think he doubted it was frozen shoulder at first until he was in there. He could feel adhesions breaking up and the joint was under a lot of pressure (saline squirting out, backfilling the syringes etc). So he said- you definitely have frozen shoulder- and I'm like- I know, I've had it in the other shoulder... 

So anyway, this procedure isn't commonly done yet in Canada, and I'll be a bit of an experiment whether catching it in this early stage can prevent the freezing from happening.

• Posted

Glad it wasn't too bad an experience for you.  My second one was done early, as like you, I recognised the signs second time round.  I also hadn't lost much movement.  I'd gone early as the first time round my consultants told me to do so, if it happened in the other shoulder - he said "the earlier, the better" - and he's an expert in this area.

For me it's been positive both times.  The first was so badly frozen that it took some months to regain all my movement - but it did resolve the pain and I'm sure it helped in getting the movement back quicker.  Second time round, I followed up with GENTLE physiotherapy (none of this "no pain no gain" stuff!)- the therapist had herself had a frozen shoulder and the same treatment, so knew her stuff.  It got rid of the pain and I avoided freezing any further. Good luck and I hope it works as well for you!

• Posted

3 days later and it feels fantastic! It was quite sore the day after, but that's about it. I would highly recommend that anyone try this procedure- you have nothing to lose!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.