Hydrodylitation

Posted , 11 users are following.

after surgery in December to repair a rotator cuff repair I now have a frozen shoulder. It's so painful. In 2 weeks I'm having Hydrodylitation on it. Has anyone had this done? How painful is the procedure and how successful is it?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Really?? I'm 6 weeks post op this week for a full thickness rotator cuff tear repair. I have had to wear a sling for 6 weeks no shoulder movement to allow the repair to knit. I start physio this week, which will be gentle and have been told it is a 12-18 month recovery time till I'm back to normal range and motion.

how have you gotten a frozen shoulder after surgery?

did you immobilise the shoulder after your surgery?

hope you get a solution soon 😄❌❌❌

• Posted

Hi Kerri. I too had my sling on for 6 weeks. Had physio regularly. Seemed to be improving (although had problems controlling the pain) about 7 weeks ago mobility of my shoulder seemed to lessen. Got worse over the weeks. Fortunately my physio saw this and so stopped my physio. Apparently a FS can just happen but it is quite common after the trauma of surgery   I had beaten myself up a bit about it thinking I should have exercised it more. Was reassured when I was told I'd done nothing wrong. I'll keep you posted x 
    • Posted

Oh my goodness....you poor thing, how damn awful. The symptoms are the same huh.....F/S and torn rotator cuff have the same damn incidious pain.

i definately feel for you 😘❌❌❌

• Posted

Hi tracey ive had fs since dec/jan and had lots of osteo appointments, then had 2 steroid injections, then was supposed to have hydrodilitation last week but they decided i had to wait for 3 months. Im petrified of it tbh as one of the steroids had lots more fluid than normal and it was painful. But they wont do anything else here first, hydro or nothing. Can have op after if it doesnt work. Let me know how it goes..x
    • Posted

I saw my surgeon for my post op app and he was cross that my doctor had not referred me back sooner. Said that I could have had it sorted earlier. The FS is more painful than my year before the op. I just hope it works. My shoulder seems to sieze up more each day. I can only just manage to lift my arm up to chest height now. I'm now 50 and I really don't want to be like this for ever 😞
    • Posted

Hi tracey. Im 51 and can only just lift my arm to chest height with intense physio! Beforw that i could hardly lift it, it just hung at my side! Im in pain most days but its bearable. Just wish the people i work with knew how painful it was instead of..oh you still have a sore shoulder!!! Ive only taken 2 days off sick with it in the 4-5 months ive had it. By 3.30pm im shattered and really could do with going home. Tired due to sleepless nights every night, with my sore shoulder yep right! Lol a young guy at work says his mom has fs and gets in with it and goes to the gym still....i so want to tell him she really DOES NOT have a fs if shes still lifting weights. Lol. What an idiot. Oh well im off to bed now, take some painkillers and hopefully get some sleep. Im off work this week so getting lots of sleep during the day too. X
  • Posted

This has been a very informative thread! The things that stood out the most to me was when you said that her frozen shoulder is more painful than a rotator cuff tear! People just don't have any idea how painful FS is!! It needs a more ferocious name! And then " it's a wonder I don't rattle"....Lol!! SO true smile Thanks for posting!
  • Posted

Hi Tracey

Similar to you i have a job involving heavy manual work. Jan/ February of this year I stared to experience pain in my shoulder that progressively got worse. I was diagnosed with an impingement and started physiotherapy.  The pain continued to get worse and like you I was unable to sleep at nights due to the excruciating pain, plus my shoulder was stiff.  I decided to get a second opinion and saw a surgeon who diagnose a frozen shoulder.  I received hydrodilatation 3 weeks ago and thankfully the pain was so much better within a few days, it was such a relief.  I was advised to have regular intense physiotherapy of which is am doing along with exercises at home given to me by the physio.  The intense therapy is uncomfortable but I am gaining more movement in my shoulder already.  The hydrodilation injection was uncomfortable for the duration of the injection but otherwise ok.  I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck  with yours I hope you have the same results as me.

• Posted

Lorraine was it painful or uncomfortable or extremely painful...im worriex im not goibg to be able to stand it the whole time....did u hear the pop?? X
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

I would say it was uncomfortable and slightly painful at times from the pressure you feel as the fluid is injected in.  I did feel the pop which was momentary.  I thought it was going to be more painful than it actually was.  I persevered and had it all injected on the one occasion, they did give me the option half way through of returning for the remaining amount but I managed to tolerate it.  It felt so much better very soon afterwards.  Persevere if you can,  I concentrated on my breathing and that helped me.

i would definitely have it done again.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi I have had a frozen shoulder since jan2014 and have been having regular intense physio since then, physio has worked but only got my shoulder to about 75 % so physio said for me to be referred back to orthopaedics to see where we go from there, I was referred back a few months ago and the doc suggested that I have hydrodilation which I agreed to I had this on thursday(7/5/15) it was very uncomfortable to have and was told by the doc doing it to let him know if it became unbareable and he would stop, I did tell him but he carried on anyway, the pain afterwards was the same as it was before I had it which wasnt too bad, it was the same the day after as well and I managed to get my arm above my head which I hadnt done in ages, then come Sunday I was in agony and have been ever since , I went to physio on monday and she couldn't understand why I was in so much pain, yesterday I cried nearly all day.I phoned the xray dept who spoke to the doc who did it and he said it would pass just take some painkillers which I have been doing and nothing seems to touch it, I took 500mg naproxen morning and night , codine phosphate, paracetamol, nurofen and 5 ×10mg amytriptiline at night and was still crying out in pain am at my wits end
    • Posted

Hi jannic. I must admit I'm not looking forward to procedure tomorrow. My consultant seems to think it will help. I'm sorry you are still in so much pain. I'll let you know how it goes. Tracey x
    • Posted

Hi Jannic, wondering if you bad pain went away. Im going to have hidrodilation next month Aug 12th. Im being in a lot of pain for almost 3 years that Im afraid that this procedure will give me more pain is the least I need. I really hope you are doing much better.

Thanks and many blessings for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.