hydrops fetalis

Posted , 3 users are following.

my little girl was born at 38 weeks due to this condition.doctors were not aware of it until after her birth in which she was stillborn,iam still very angry at what happened because i had been trying to tell the doctors for weeks that something was wrong,and i feel that if they had listened to me melissa would be alive today,i had previously lost a little boy because of /placental abruption and they thought i was being paranoid because of this i told them that i didnt think that this was the problem but i knew in my heart there was something wrong with my little girl,they didnt listen,they still were not listening on the morning of her birth when i woke in hospital and told them it was too late and that i knew she was gone,i had to beg a nurse to take me for a scan and then she cried when the doctor said that i was right and melissa had passed away,after they found out it was due to hydrops they said that they probably wouldnt have been able to do anything if they had detected it earlier,but that is something we will never know isnt it......

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No words can express how sad it is that you lost your little baby girl. I have a daughter who was delivered at 34 weeks she is now healthy and well I found out she had hydrops fetalis after experiencing swelling in my legs and symptoms of pre eclampsia. The Doctor told me to go home and keep my feet up to reduce the swelling. I felt that something was not right and I went back to the doctor three days later and insisted I be sent up to the hospital where they checked the baby,s heart rate this presented as normal as the dopplers cannot pick up an elevated heart rate. Then they decided to do an ultrasound which showed that she had hydrops with fluid in the abdomen and her heart was beating at 265beats per minute she had tachycardia and her heart was starting to fail. The next day i was sent to another hospital and was told they were delivering her in half an hour. they put a needle in through the umbilical cord after she was born and drained 50mls of fluid to help with her breathing. It took about five days for her to lose all the fluid that had accumulated in her abdomen and under her skin the Doctors told me if she had stayed in there another day or two she would have died.
  • Posted

iam so glad your baby survived this horendous condition,my oldest daughter is 14 weeks pregnant,and because of what happened to melissa,and the complications that took jamie from us,you can imagine this is going to be a scary time for us all,she had her first scan today and all is well,but iam going to see the consultant with her next week,i will make sure she gets plenty scans,after we lost melissa we went on to have a healthy baby boy,i was scanned every 2 weeks and went in to hospital early to be induced,matthew is now 8,well actualy he will be 9 in december and he cant wait to be an uncle......
  • Posted

[quote:35feacfe68=\"previous\"]iam so glad your baby survived this horendous condition,my oldest daughter is 14 weeks pregnant,and because of what happened to melissa,and the complications that took jamie from us,you can imagine this is going to be a scary time for us all,she had her first scan today and all is well,but iam going to see the consultant with her next week,i will make sure she gets plenty scans,after we lost melissa we went on to have a healthy baby boy,i was scanned every 2 weeks and went in to hospital early to be induced,matthew is now 8,well actualy he will be 9 in december and he cant wait to be an uncle......[/quote:35feacfe68]

Hi, My Daughter lost her baby boy three years ago to hydrops we found out when she was 24 weeks but they let her go until she went into labour by herself, as they said this was the best course of action for her.... she was only 15 yrs old. she went to 30 weeks before she went into labour and delivered my lovely grandson Joe his heart beat for 55 mins before he left us.... But my question is she has just found out she is pregnate again and we are trying to find out any information that might tell us if this is something that will happen again or if it is only a rare condition that just strikes people at random....

• Posted

Jane, it can reoccur and she should be monitored frequently for signs of hydrops again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.