Hydrotherapy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I am 4 weeks post op and doing really well, however, two days ago I went to a hydrotherapy class.  Next day my knee was really swollen and painful.  After speaking to my doctor, the consensus is that it is very very easy to overdo things in the pool.  Problem is that everything feel easy and therefore very easy to over stretch etc.   just a word, of warning. Hope it helps.  My surgeon say I don't need the pool as I am doing fine without it.  Maybe I will go back after about 8 weeks. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes it's easy to overdo it in the pool the instructor there should have told you, and if it's hot like it's supposed to be then you shouldn't be in there any more than 20-30 minutes.i swear by the pool and it's the first thing I do as soon as I can....just take it easy. I've had great range of movement in all the joints I've had done,
  • Posted

I did exactly the same on my first Hydro session - it all felt so easy, I really went too far and could hardly walk the next day! Having said that though, I couldnt wait to go back, and Im disappointed that now Ive been (temporarily) discharged from Physio, my Hydro will stop as well. Such as shame, as I love the warm water, it feels like a great big hug :-)

• Posted

Same thing happened to me. . I felt awful the next day!  I was there for about an hour exercising continually, and it was lovely . . until later!
  • Posted

Hydrotherapy's brilliant, Sue, when someone's there to stop you from overdoing it! I started with a physio watching us like a hawk, and repeating the rules over and over. 30 mins at the most; if it hurts, stop; if you think it's going to hurt, stop; never push yourself too far; if it hurts in water, then it's BAD for you; drink plenty of liquid; rest immediately afterwards; don't do any other strenuous excercise the same day; expect to feel aches and pains later that day the first few times.

It's so easy in that lovely warm cocoon to think that another 5 mins won't hurt. It does! I've been there!

So pleased you're doing well, and don't give up on the pool entirely. It's been wonderful for my recovery.

Denise from Oz

• Posted

Thanks guys,  I am not sure how to tell if you are overdoing things in the pool.  I thought I was being very gentle but obviously not.   I will give it a week and perhaps another try.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.