HYDROTHERAPY- any good

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm nearly 14 months post op TKR on right knee. Nightmare of a year. Trying hard to get back to some semblance of normality. The whole experience knocked the stuffing out of me as they say.

My balance borders on appearing drunk one day to a little bit of normal gait another day. Also the pain has returned of a nighttime so I'm getting no proper sleep.

I must naive but I really thought I would start recovering after six weeks and not keep going back and forwards all the time.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've been given a really cheap bog standard prosthetic knee which will never replace my own

Copper cobalt!

Would like to see one of these knees and hold it to feel the weight.

Some days it feels like I've got a piece of lead in my leg.

When I saw the surgeon for the last time he he said I had muscle wastage and said hydrotherapy would help.

Anyway today I had my first hydrotherapy session for half an hour - does it to any good?

A word of advice - don't think you're getting the best when you go NHS in a private hospital - you're not!!

I wish now I'd gone the traditional NHS route and gone to to my local Orthopedic hospital

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hydrotherapy was the game changer for me. Keep it up, it will get stronger and better.
    • Posted

Tks - can you tell me how long you did it for and how long the sessions were

With thanks

• Posted

I did it as often as possible. I had a double knee replacement last summer. I went for 20 minutes at first and built up my time. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

I have been told hydrotherapy really helps but unfortunately there is none near me in N.Ireland. Hope it helps you Mary. xx
  • Posted

Hi

I went in the Hydro pool I was not very impressed, private in the UK, one PT 6 of us in the pool. ( would have gone in it two days after my op. If it was not closed.)

I might have been in it more but on at least two occasions my appointments were cancel because of the water tests were bad.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Mary sorry you are having such a bad time!

I have heard Hydrotherapy is very good, not been myself.

I hope you start to feel better soon, you really are having a long slog of this. I've no magic answers wish I did.

Take care

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Mary. Have you tried Ortho sandals like Merrells? I practice heel toe heel toe heel toe and I've finally got the balance thing about 80% ok. Hydrotherapy and pool walking helped me. Still does. I feel for you but understand that one day you may wake up and feel fabulous. Happens some days. Get as fit as you are able to be and weight under control. This awful surgery tests even the hardiest human. X

• Posted

Hi Mary 12001

I hope that you are feeling better. 14 months is a long time after a TKR. The need should be healed by know. I am afraid because my is going on 6 months a it hurts in the morning during the day and lots of pain at night. I only have 110 range. I ice my knee every night but My doctor does not prescribes pain killers after the 3rd month. Something with Florida law. I cannot take ant- inflammatoruis vecause my stomach. I exercise my leg/knee every day and ice it and put up with the pain. No one shoukd have to be in pain for so long from a TKR. I believe is too late for the dictor to do a manipulation on my knee because they have to be done prior to the Third month post op. I feel your pain and besides what I am doing I don't have any advice. I have been reading the comments that other people post but most don't apply to me because they are still in their early stages and that is expected. But once you past 4 or 5 months them it because a problem. I just hope that you find some comfort abd if and when you do, please let me know. Best of luck. J13270

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.