Hydrotherapy pool

Posted , 7 users are following.

im 12 weeks post TKR, doing fine but am about to try strengthening exercises in the hydrotherapy pool. Apart from walking in all directions does anyone have any suggestions re pool exercises which helped them?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gail I had a TKR two years ago ..my advice to you is get on a bike it will help you so much without putting to much of strain new knee ..will build all your muscles and loosen the knee . It certainly helped me 
  • Posted

Have you been given any exercises to do at physiotherapy sessions.

I had TKR 3 years ago and what I found was that it was easier to do these exercises in the pool.

1. Stand at shallow end of pool so you are in yur depth.

Bend your knee up as far as you can. Do this 20 times each knee.

2. Bend your knee backwards as far as you can. Again 20 times.

3. Stretch your leg out to the side. Again 20 times.

Another one I did (but obviously not in the pool) was to buy ankle weights from the sports shop. Sit on a hard chair and straighten yur leg as far as you can with weight on your ankle.

Hope all this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah - if they dont have weights there I'll buy some as Mary has suggested an exercise in the pool and they can double for your exercise. I'll do all yours and together with Mary's I'll probably not have time for more!! Great suggestions.

Gail

• Posted

Gail walking sideways and backwards I also used some weights they had

stand with your back against the wall in waist deep water and slide the leg up bending as much as you can..

when you get stronger use a kick board and kick your way down the pool..

• Posted

Instead of weights try an inflatable armband, much easier to carry. Adjust the pressure then slip onto your foot. The upward force will help stretch your knee while the downward push will help build your muscles.
  • Posted

Hi Gail - I worked as a physio assistant in a hydro pool in a major spinal unit for many years and I would suggest that the pool physio will advise you on which exercises will best suit your needs.

With respect to David, please be very careful about putting an inflatable arm band round your ankle.  Should you lose your balance, you could find yourself tipped up and struggling to get your head above water.  I also served as a Volunteer Lifeguard for some years and it was scary how many children/small adults had to be discouraged from this practice.  Enjoy your hydro, it can be so beneficial.

• Posted

Hi Margaret ...wasn't suggesting putting it around the ankle. You only slip your toes into the ring while having your back to the side wall. Also you start off with only a small amount of air in it. When I was using the local hydrotherapy pool it was one of the exercises we were instructed to use. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the expert advice. I will see if there is someone to ask.

Gail

• Posted

Thanks for this, and I think Margaret's input helped to clarify your suggestion which I'm sure is helpful

Gail

• Posted

Apologies, David. I misunderstood you. Do hope your knee is

healing well. I am 5 weeks post op and am still facing a TKR on my other knee.

Again, my apologies. : - )

• Posted

No apologies needed Margaret, I should have been more clear but assumed it was a standard exercise. Knee doing well, now 5 months and signed off physio. Been told improvements should take place steadily over the rest of the year. Must admit at 5 weaks it felt I'd never reach this stage. Hope both Gail and yourself soon find yourselves happy with the improvement in your knees. 
  • Posted

Thanks all. I'm at the gym doing cycling and stretching Pauli and it helps but I thought the hydrotherapy pool was worth a try. They had floats, rings and a box in the pool but no physio but other people whod been to a class helped me. I walked, then used the box for calf stretches and walking on and over with the bad leg, then hooked my feet on the bar lying on my back using the float for ballast, then drop one foot and use the other to pull into the bard and out again. Then I found a corner to hold on and do a bit of cycling in the water. I think it was helpful. Time will tell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.