Hydroxocobalamine-ototoxic?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hallo there! Does anyone know if Hydroxocobalamine is ototoxic?I seem to be experiencing tinnitus after a b12 (Hydroxocobalamine) injection.Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky Hydryxocobalamine, first time i ever hear of it ,but as far as i know B12 is a good vitamine and should not cause this, i will look into it and thanx for the info, you can always google it! Hope that T goes away for you, God bless you and help you heal quick!
  • Posted

Checked some studies, but B12 appears to prevent tinntitus. Can you tell us the whole story?
    • Posted

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I got an B12- "Articlox" injection and a couple of hours later I started experiencing a buzzing sound in my ears. Searching on the net I did find it on the list of rare side effects.I'm wondering if B12 could be toxic when taken in high dosages.
    • Posted

I tried to find scientific articles related to B12 toxicity without success, so I doubt it is toxic.

About articlox I found these:

"Articlox side effects

Vitamin B12 has extremely low toxicity and even taking it in enormous doses appears not to be harmful to healthy individuals.

Hematologic: Peripheral vascular thrombosis has been reported. Treatment of vitamin B12 deficiency can unmask polycythemia vera, which is characterized by an increase in blood volume and the number of red blood cells. The correction of megaloblastic anemia with vitamin B12 can result in fatal hypokalemia and gout in susceptible individuals, and it can obscure folate deficiency in megaloblastic anemia. Caution is warranted."

On other sites I found that it can cause allergic reaction rarely, and afaik allergy might cause tinnitus, but I guess only in long term.

Where did you find the article which mentions tinnitus as side effect? Why did you need B12 supplement?

• Posted

I was given the injection because of  low B12 (289). I found tinnitus as a side effect on a site on Hydroxobalamin.It's comforting to hear that it's not toxic. I guess that the buzzing may be related to hypertension because my blood pressure and pulse sky rocketed after the injection.The hematologic side effects you mentioned are worrying.I should check with my doctor if the symptoms persist.
  • Posted

Hi Victoria I read somewhere that lack of b12 can cause tinnitus can't remember where but I'm not sure if noise I've got started last year may coincide with my b12 boosters ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.