hydroxychloroquine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Yesterday I called my pharmacist to renew some prescriptions, one of them being hydroxychloroquine, a drug I have been taking for 17 years. Suddenly he can't get the drug after the president touted it as a cure for covid-19. It seems that some people have persuaded their doctors to prescribe it for them as a prophylaxis. Those of us who depend on that drug pay the price. If it does become available again, I anticipate the cost will be significantly higher.

Has anyone out there had the same experience?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

What country are you from? How can he say it is a cure when it hasn't been proved? It is awful that people like yourself are going to suffer, I am fortunate that I am not on that but my 79 year old mum is 😕

• Posted

USA. The president goes on and on how this is a magic bullet. Each time he does so, Dr. Fauci gets to the podium and says there are only anecdotal reports and that no study has yet been done to prove or disprove that this drug works for coronavirus.

• Posted

The President of the United States hasn't stated that it is a cure. What President made that claim?

• Posted

He did say that he has a "good feeling, a hunch" that this will work. Watch his press conferences.

• Edited

It is one of the drugs the scientists here have had success with for CV-19, when taken with certain antibiotics. it is also a malaria drug. They have tested it and last I heard here was that they were getting it out to 50 hospitals in different countries to trial it. I'm no scientist, Eileen may know more on procedures, but if this is the case they will fast track it. Plaquenil seems to be the brand no one can get at the moment, but it isn't approved here in Aus, so they have to get the supplies in as its our scientists that have worked with it on CV-19. The members of another facebook page for RA are all saying the same. They can't get Plaquenil. I wish I was on it instead of MTX as those patients on it seem to be doing better if contracting CV-19 than expected.

• Edited

I just want to clarify that it is not being trialled as a cure, its as a treatment. It is NOT approved yet, and it may never be, but they have had great success here using it along with antibiotics on those tested positive to CV-19. The trials here are ongoing, but that is why there is a worldwide shortage at the moment.

• Posted

I take both plaquenil and mtx. Right now I am rationing what little plaquenil I have left.

• Posted

FURTHER TO MY EARLIER COMMENTS. THIS IS ON WIKIPEADIA as the definition of PLAQUENIL. LAST SENTENCE IS RELEVANT

"Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), sold under the brand name Plaquenil among others, is a medication used for the prevention and treatment of certain types of malaria.[2] Specifically it is used for chloroquine-sensitive malaria.[3] Other uses include treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and porphyria cutanea tarda.[2] It is taken by mouth.[2] It is also being used as an experimental treatment for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).[4]"

• Posted

Experimental is the key word. It has yet to be proven to be effective. But that is beside the point. There should not be a sudden "shortage" of this drug. It is an old, established drug with plenty of manufacturers to take up the slack.

• Posted

The weird thing is, my local pharmacy hasn't been able to get my MTX either. It's been over a week so far. My rheumotologist said to get 3 months supply, but pharmacies are only allowed to dispense 1 month at a time. Even so, they still can't get it for some reason.

• Posted

I am so sorry you are not able to obtain your medication. I don't know how many drug companies manufacture it. I have RA but not on it

A small study overseas found the drug was effective in killing covid-19. It needs to be further studied of course but I for one would take it if it is the only thing at this point that has been found to work. It was used in combination with an antibiotic with nickname z pac

Obviously the drug companies MUST ramp up production immediately so no one currently on it goes without

I hope by now you were able to obtain it Very best wishes to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.