Hydroxychloroquine Pain Medication Advise Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Could someone please advise, I have suffered with flat arches all my life however once I hit 40, the pain in them has grown terrible I have had all kinds of pain killers, till the doctor has prescribed me something called Hydroxychloroquine 200mg per day. Can anyone please advise is this another pain killing medication? As previously I have just come of Tramadol as it no longer works to cure my pain in my feet and now lower back.

I have looked everywere to find out what exactley is this medication and how will it work for my pain, but no such luck cannot make sense of half of the info seen.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

might sound like a silly question but have you tried foot orthotics available from a podiatrist. My left foot is flat (inherited condition) and my orthotics allow me painless movement
  • Posted

Hi Alison,

Hydroxychloroquine is not a painkiller it is a disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD). It reduces the activity of the immune system, which can become overactive in diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, and so affects the underlying disease process rather than simply treating symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Alison, Hope you are well, One thing to bear in mind as well with Hydroxychloroquine is to make sure you are having regular eye tests (I presume your GP will of told you that already) as Hydroxychloroquine can damage the retina at the back of your eyes. Matt
  • Posted

Hi Alison, I take hydroxychloroquine and have been doing so for about 5 weeks now.  It has turned my life around thank god!  Fabulous drug, if there is such a thing!  I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis as a result of my system going into shock after the removal of an adrenal gland earlier in the year and hey ho, the joint pain was horrendous when I started to reduce my steroid intake.  Wow, wouldnt wish it upon anyone.  Hydroxychloroquine may give you an upset tummy in the mornings after the morning dose but I found that was better to have for the first few weeks than the pain in the joints.  Apparently it should take from 5 to 12 weeks to get into your system but I felt soooo much better just after three weeks of taking it.  My older sister has been on it for four years so far also for RA and she considers it her wonder drug too.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi thanks for that Melanie, My consultant is suppse to be putting me on this next week for psoriatic arthritis, Im already taking Methotrexate 20mg a week but it is still not enough, im still getting joints problems etc. Have you had any side effects from taking the hydroxychloroquine?? The only thing that worried me was when the consultant said it can damage your eyes. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.