Hydroxychloroquine (plaquenil) question

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm newly diagnosed with sjogren's and although I haven't been on the medication for long ( 2 weeks) I'm desperate to feel better. I came down with the flu 5 months ago and never recovered.

I know it takes months to build up in your system but I'm terrified that it may not work and I've spend the entire year feeling horrible. The worst symptoms are fatigue and joint pain. I can deal with the dryness but I'm just miserable.

I guess I just need to vent and hear success stories from others that have dealt with this longer. I'm praying these meds work.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I’ve had Sjogrens for 7 years but think it’s really much longer, maybe 20 years. Besides the fatigue and dryness I have small fiber neuropathy. My neurologist has me on Azathioprine which is an immunosuppressant. I feel I haven’t progressed with the neuropathy so that’s why I take it. I also am on Facebook with a Sjogrens group. Lots of good info on there so I would recommend it. According to many on that site Placquenil is not an immunosuppressant and won’t compromise the immune system so shouldn’t make you more susceptible to catching colds etc. 

i rarely get sick with colds sore throats etc despite being on Azathioprine so I guess I’ve been lucky. 

I recommend the Sjogrens site on Facebook. 😎

• Posted

Hi Beverly. Thanks for responding.

What's the name of the group on FB?

• Posted

Hi MCE43511,

I have been taking hydroxychloroquine for 13 years.  For most of that time I was taking two 200 mg tablets/day.  This year my opthamologist recommended that I drop to 1 tablet/day due to new information they have found with regard to the effect this med has on the eyes.  So far, I have had no negative effects on my eyes.  As for the effectiveness of this medicine, I think it has helped me tremendously.  I have been in pain every day, true, but I have the stamina to get things done in my life and keep going, and my bloodwork comes back good.  About 5 years ago the doctor added Methotrexate .3 ml/once/week.  This has kept me stable and my blood work keeps coming back good.  Three years ago I became vegetarian and then last year I became vegan.  Now I eat a whole plant food diet with no added oil, sugar and salt (well I do use some salt).  This has had a profound effect on my health.  Even while taking the Methotrexate, I am getting great blood tests.  So I asked my dr. if my Primary Sjogren's could be in remission.  He said it was possible and if the blood work keeps being good, he will decide what to do.  I know there is no cure, but if I can just maintain this level, I feel I am ahead of the game.  I am 71.  I know there is no cure.  Everyone around me is on handsful of meds.  I don't want that.  I have already gotten the most from the hydroxy and the Methotrexate--I am happy.  My friends who are my age are not in as good shape.  They have all the normal problems of these days, acid reflux, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., but I have an inner feeling of health many days.  I still do have some days of fatigue and when I do I worry that it's back, or that they will say I have Lupus too, but no news is good news and I keep on going.  I would like to say that I think the pain was greater in the beginning.  The flares were closer and I just felt sicker.  I also believe that after a time the mind 'blocks' out pain so maybe I am just living with the same pain.  At any rate, I wanted to let you know this so you will not fret so much.  

I think the hydroxy also helped me a lot with the dryness of the eyes.  I can tell over the last couple of years I am a little  dryer than before.  My skin has been hard to live with.  I have bottles and bottles of lotion that I have all over the house so I can keep putting some on my hands.

One other thing, after a few years on the hydroxy, my hair got curly, just like I had a perm.  It's great because I keep it short and never have to do much with it!

I hope you are able to keep on with the hydroxy long enough to see some benefits.  I would try to give it a year at least.

• Posted

Hi Nancy  I have been on plaquenil for 1 year continuous, and at the start of treatment I had to see an ophthalmologist to get a base reading; since then I have had to see the optha every  3 months and at last visit she said 6 months. Side effects are retinal.... so regular comprehensive eye examinations have to done to prevent further worsening of eyes
  • Posted

Hi Shaq26875,

Yes, thank you.  I have my exams every 6 months faithfully.

• Posted

After 13 years on hydroxyl it fantastic that you have had no bad side effects on your eyes. After 1 year I am already apprehensive as I was told during this year that I have AMD sad 

​This is not related to SS but the hydroxyl could make it progress faster?? (I already have secondary cataracts in both eyes ) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.