Hydroxychloroquine When should it kick in??

Posted , 1 user is following.

My sister is in terrific pain with knee osteoarthritis/medium damaged cartiliage...nothing the hospital has prescribed has eased her pain/stiffness.  They won`t operate, so have put her on this drug....it`s three months now, when should it start to work.  She is in so much pain, I`m wondering if this is right for her??

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No relief with this drug....why not try an over the counter pain reliever....that's what I use for all the arthritis I deal with....I'm not sure what this drug is, a narcotic?  Why push someone this this type drug, try the mildest forms....

Does she use any supplements for the OA?   I use a lot, surgery is the last thing I want to do....had a hip replacement at 72 and I'm now 76 and left with a lot of messy complications.....there is physical therapy and acupuncture and lots of other avenues we can work with and not depend on the docs and drugs...     

• Posted

Thank you for that....She is now about to start on Acupunture, she has tried "creams" to rub on her knee etc, but only temporary reief I`m afraid.  The drug isn`t a narcotic, it`s what they call a DMARD.....
    • Posted

Everything is temporary relief, once arthritis attacks our body, it's all management, she needs to be aware of foods too....there are many pro arthritic foods, like sugar, carbs, high meat intake, and there are many non acidic foods and one can go to a online acidic vs alkaline food chart site and read all about acid vs alkaline foods.....the more acidic the more pain..... 
    • Posted

Acupuncture can help, but one needs to stay with it ongoing for benefits...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.