hydroxychlorquine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on hydroxychloroquine for about a year. I am now starting to have like a flasher in my right eye as anybody else have that? I know that particular medication can cause eye problems

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was on it for a while and it did not give me any kind of visual problems. I think it would be important for you to go to your eye doctor about this. The fact that it's continuating and not just a flash could indicate something's wrong with your eye and you don't want to mess with your vision. There is a thing called an ocular migraine. It causes visual disturbances and you don't always get pain with it. But that's very temporary. Please let us know how things go for you.

• Posted

It is important for patients on this drug to have regular eye checks - and anyway any visual symptoms should be checked out. In the UK an optician can usually do all the tests needed without you having to wait for a doctor's appointment - they will tell you if you need to get the doctor to do anything. 

• Posted

A flash of light can be a serious eye problem that requires prompt attention   I would have it checked to be on the safe side.   I have had that in the past and my eye checked out OK.   I am not on the medication though but have a corneal eye disease   Flashes of light can indicate a retinal tear.    I do know someone with RA that told me she had blindness in one eye due to the hydroxy. medication and had not seen someone to check her eyes while on the med.    
  • Posted

Not a real problem for me but a few months ago I had a short spell of strange vision abnormality, kind of blurred and sometimes like looking through waves of water.   I saw my optician who put me through a battery of tests and said my eyesight was close to perfect.    I did wonder if this medication ( Hydroxychloroquine / methotrexate )   would have an adverse effect....Otherwise I am absolutely ok.       I seem to vaguely  remember the RA doctor saying lighting would seem brighter, such as oncoming car headlights.....maybe an age thing though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.