Hygiene

Posted , 14 users are following.

Can I get some advice/tips regarding washing please?

I've had a hip replacement on Friday, I came out of hospital Sunday and 

cleaning myself is a massive task, has anyone got any advice apart from a sponge wash...

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

HI I was lucky and had a waterproof dressing on so could shower but I would use wet wipes as well as I found the easy 
  • Posted

Hi there

Congratulations on becoming a member of a very exclusive club !cheesygrin

Regarding washing - it depends on how your wound is treated and dressed - but in most cases you can't shower until the stitches have been removed and then only if you have a walk in shower, using a shower-over-the-bath is definitely a no-no.

So, unfortunately a strip wash is pretty much the only way to go.

It does mean that once you can have a shower, it is soooooo nice!

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi, we have a walk in shower so I wrapped by wound in cling film (like when you’ve had a tattoo 😂😍wink and Took the shower off it’s stand to hold and spray myself avoiding the area beat I could. Once my body was clean I sat on the perching stool with my head back so hubby could wash my hair. I also managed to use the stool to do this myself over he bath a couple of times. It is a nightmare and was amazing when dressing was off and I could shower properly! It does depend on your bathroom I guess and we’re lucky that ours is a wet room so no ledges or climbing in the bath - good luck! X

• Posted

Hi

I'm 11 weeks post p.o. and have been told not to use a shower over the bath for at least 12 weeks.I visit my mum's everyday to use the walk in shower.Toliet wipes are great and sponge wash inbetween.My dressing was waterproof so could have a shower from day 1.

Good luck with your recovery ??

• Posted

Hi Brasilia I’m nearly six weeks post op trhr and most days still sponge washing my bath is very deep and the shower is in bath so don’t know how I’m going to get in it luckily my daughter has a walk in shower so I use that  a couple of times a week but she’s moving next week so got to figure out how to get in bath but mostly out again 
  • Posted

When it is permissible to have a shower you might find a triangular shower seat helpful.I have a small shower with inward opening doors but this fiited into the corner. The legs are adjustable for height and one leg is bent forward to acoid the corner ledge,. If you google specifiacaly  CORNER SHOWER STOOL you will find the care shop that has them on offer and also they sell long handles sponges.The stool is not fixed but wedges into the corner
  • Posted

Hi   I think strip wash is the only way unless you got a walk  in shower  my shower is over the bath and my bath is very deep there’s no way I can get in or mostly out again my daughter lives close so I use her walk in shower but she’s moving next week so will have to strip wash  I’m  almost 6 weeks post rthr keep sponging if I were you

• Posted

You might be able to climb into the bath if you go to one end of it, stand on the good leg in the bath and bring the op. leg over the bath side,like getting on a man's bike- you need some sort of had hold at the same time.

• Posted

Hi Basilio, 

I was given a stool to sit on and also a sponge on a long stick to reach the places i couldn't. As my shower was then over my bath, I could not climb into the bath until I saw my surgeon at 6.5 weeks and he lifted restrictions. Initially i had a relative to help me was the areas I could not reach as using the sponge was not successful, when my movements were limited. I am afraid my dignity went out of the window, as i wanted to be clean so had to have the assistance from hubby or sisters in law. Once i had started to heal and stand better i could get to those difficult parts with the long handled sponge. My first shower was heaven. My dressings were not waterproof but by the time i could step into the bath, there were no dressings anyway. Good luck

• Posted

yes it was a struggle to wash. I didn't have a shower seat so i had to use the sink. It was ok bc I had my walker in the bathroom. But after 2 weeks i was able to lift this leg and get in the shower and O M G i felt like it was Christmas..😁

• Posted

There is magic healing in a shower!  I too was in heaven.  I went in the first week because I had already fitted the shower with assisting bars because I broke my leg 6 months earlier. I too had a waterproof incision area but I avoided soaking it. I had a sponge on a stick also.  It was bad when I dropped anything though!  Carefully shower and your mood will be so much better! 
  • Posted

I am now 6 months post-op. I did a lot of research before my surgery so I was ready. My shower is in the bathtub and I knew it would be quite impossible to take a shower the normal way. I got a seat which fits over the tub, then you sit down and swing your legs into the tub. I got a shower head with a long (7feet) tube (cord) and an on/off button on the head. I could then sit comfortably on the seat, soap op and wash off. I have to admit it was a bit hard to swing the legs in the first couple of times but if you use a robe (I used a dog leash) to lift the "bad" leg then it got easier and easier. In between showers/bath use baby-wipes they are quite efficient. You don't really have to take a shower every day - what do you do to get that dirty LOL

I am now able to take normal showers, took the seat out of the tub and changed the showerhead back to the normal one, and my god it was heaven to stand under the shower for the first time.

• Posted

If you have someone to help it is possible to use a shower that is over a bath. I had a couple of plastic steps of different heights on the bathroom floor, and one in the bath to step on to. They are designed for kids maybe(?) but took my weight ok. I had my husband to help though, I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re on your own. I showered like that from day 2. Wet wipes are also very handy. Initially I washed my hair under our kitchen mixer tap which is tall. Good luck!
  • Posted

I used the commode to sit under the shower. My hubby would then help me with the Walker to get back in bed. Just make sure you don't get the incision wet. I covered mine with Saran wrap and tape. Having a shower felt so good.

• Posted

Basilio

I had a waterproof dressing on my wound so showered even while I was still in the hospital.

They may well take your stitches out after 7-10 days and give you the all clear to shower.

But as others say, stepping over the side of a bath is probably not a good idea unless you have someone to help and/or something very solid to hold on to.

Good luck with your recovery

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.