Hynic Jerks - Tremors - Vibrating Feeling In Feet - Muscle Twitch's

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I have some issues that have been going on for about 3 years now and all just kinda popped up out of nowhere. I've been the neurologist several times and had a bunch of tests. MRI, and other tests that look for issues with my muscles. So far nothing popped up but every time I've gone the symptoms weren't happening at that time. 

So let me give a quick overview of what's been happening. 

1. HYPNIC JERKS aka SLEEP STARTS 

This is the issue that is really effecting my life in a negative way. These are jerks that right as I'm about to fall asleep I have a huge body jolt. Can be just a leg, or an arm, both legs or entire body. It's completely random but every time I'm about to doze off BOOM, body jerk plus it gives me this adrenaline rush feeling which jolts me awake. After 5 min's or so I'll start to doze off again and it happens again. This has caused me to get 0 sleep many times and work is tough. Sometimes it takes me hours to fall asleep and it's really starting to effect my life. This condition started about 3 years ago. It used to come and go sometimes I'd have the issues for about 3-7 days then it would completely go away for a week or 2 sometimes longer. Over the last 3 months though it's been every night and is not getting better. 

2. VIBRATING FEELING IN FEET 

Also for about 3 years I randomly get this feeling in my left foot. It feels like a slight vibration inside my foot in the bottom and middle. It had only been my left foot but about a week ago it's been my right foot as well. This also comes and goes at random and doesn't really effect me other than it kinda freaks me out in conjunction with everything else that I have going on. 

3. RANDOM MUSCLE TWITCHES, TREMORS, or SPASMS 

Again, for about 3 years at random I get twitches/spasms/tremors. My doctor actually diagnosed me with benign myoclonus. Usually it's just like a random muscle twitch (only while resting or not moving) but sometimes I get tremors in my right index finger, right thumb and right forearms and a few times same issue with my left index finger. This also comes and goes at random and causes no issues other than it is worrying me in conjunction with all my other issues. 

4. Heart palpitations 

This one scared the hell out of me. I was randomly getting a skipped heart beat feeling and it kept happening all the time off and on. I had tons of test done including a EKG, Stress test and x-ray and mri of the chest and heart. Nothing was found out of the ordinary and thankfully I haven't had one of these in a few months now. 

5. Overall information about me. 

I'm a 36 year old white male. I'm overweight but have been losing weight due to my job of delivering packages for amazon. I move around pretty well, no pain, no issues with balance or coordination. These issues I'm having though are making me worry I may have some serious disease that is in the early phases. The hypnic jerks are especially starting to effect my life. I've lost so much sleep due to these and it's making work tough. I've had to go to work many times without even 1 minute of sleep. I've tried not having caffeine, I've tried calcium and magnesium, I try and not get much physical activity at least 4 hours before sleep. But for whatever reason the last 3 months they have been relentless. Every night now they happen over and over. I usually have to try and lay down for 2-5 hours before actually falling asleep. 

With all this said does anyone have anything like what I have? Does anyone know what this could be and is there anything I can do that will at least make the hypnic jerks stoo or slow down? Please help. I am a little worried something could be wrong with me but mostly I need to start getting a normal amount  [Question]  of sleep so I don't lose my job.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

A couple questions.  1.  Are you taking any medications, antidepressants?  2.  Did you recently stop taking any medications?  3.  Are you under stress?  4.  Have you ever had your thyroid checked out?  You are losing weight, which would be consistent with hyperthyroidism.  Heart palpitations are also consistent with hyperthyroidism.
    • Posted

1. No/No

2. No

3. Only about the issues I'm having

4. No

5. I have lost some weight but steadily since my new job which is delivering packages for Amazon. 

I will look into it. I'm trying to rule out as many things as I can or at least try and find out the root cause. I just don't think all the issues I have can be of no issue. I also get random little muscle twitches all over my body at complete random. As with all my issues it comes and goes at random. The hypnic jerks are consistent now though. Everynight for months. That's the 1 issue I want to get sorted out. The other stuff weirds me out but doesn't bother me otherwise. 

• Posted

I have read numerous sources that suggest hypnic jerks are normal.  Myself, I do not believe that.  I had hypnic jerks recently - never had them before.  When I was experiencing them, I was having bouts of extreme insomnia so perhaps there is a link.  I would suggest going to a doctor and getting some testing.  At this point, you should consider going on a sleep aid to get your sleep schedule back on track.  I alternate between benzos and Ambien with pretty good effect.  Realize that these drugs can have addictive properties, but as long as you do not abuse them you should be ok.  Lack of sleep seriously messes up your body so you should try to correct that and see if the other symptoms you are experiencing subside.  I understand you wanting to find the root cause, but you may never find it.

Did the hypnic jerks come on suddenly?  Was the onset of hypnic jerks at the same time you started experiencing insomnia?

Look into CBT-I (cognitive behavior therapy for insomnia) as a way to try to sleep without use of a sleep aid.

You might want to get a holter monitor to assess whether you are having heart palpitations, skipped beats, etc.  You are overweight so you may be experiencing sleep apnea.  Do you snore?  Perhaps you should consider a sleep study.  Go to a sleep doctor.

• Posted

Hello John. The insomnia bouts I'm having are directly related to the hypnic jerks. These started about 3 years ago. For most of the time they would come and go. I'd have them for 5-8 nights in a row then they would go away for a week or 2. But the last 3 months they have been relentless and everynight. If it was just these I'd chalk it up to normal. But I have muscle twitches all over my body at random, vibrating feeling in my feet at random and yes I do get heart palpitations. These haven't happened much lately but I do get 1 every now and then. Around this time last year I had them everyday for about a month. Those scared the hell out of me and I went to the hospital and had tests done including a stress test. Nothing in the test was revealed. Problem with going to all these doctors for tests is I do not have insurance and can't afford it. I have a program though JPS but it takes months to get in to see a doctor. My appointment is 5 weeks form now and that's just an initial visit. 

• Posted

Also I do have sleep apnea. I am going to do a sleep study but again this will be months down the line due to s****y health care I get with no insurance. 
    • Posted

How are you doing now Justin?! I been going through the same thing here for a year now. I can relate to your situation. I also get shaky feelings is I do sleep and only sleep 1-2 hrs at night maybe two times a week. I don't know what the cause is but I have been to many dr's and put on different meds in last 12 months from Seroquel XR, Ativan, Klonopin, Ambien 30mg CR, Doxepin, Remeron, Xanax, Trazdone, and serveral others that have not worked much or at all. I have a appointment with a nueorologist and sleep dr soon. I just don't know long I can take this. I'm running out of options. My memory shot and mental state in question. I hope you found a solution to your problems. Let me know how your doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.