Hyper awareness of heart? Shortness of breath after last SVT 'attack' that won't go away!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is anyone else super aware of their heart? Like I feel it ALL the time, I feel every flutter, every skipped beat, every extra soft or extra hard beat, I feel it all the time. It feels like it could jump out of my chest at any moment! When I lay on my left side, it starts going crazy, it feels like I'm squishing it, or putting too much pressure on it. It's really annoying in bed (either trying to go to sleep, or having 'adult time' with my husband! 

Also, I had my worst 'attack' to date about a week ago. My heart rate spiked to 249bpm with ZERO warning (I can usually feel the flutter or weird shortness of breath I get right before one starts) and stayed between that and 227bpm (when I got to the hospital) for over 40 mins. They are definitely getting stronger and more frequent! Ever since then, I've been feel so incredibly weak and out of breath. I always have those kind of lingering effects, but they usually go away after a couple of days, but they are really persistent this time. My chest still hurts, it still feels like someone has their hand around my heart and squeezing randomly. 

I do have other health issues, I have 4 compression fractures in my spine, fibromyalgia and arthritis EVERYWHERE, so I'm not sure if that, combined with the fact that this one was so tough on me, is the reason it's taking so long to recover. Either way, I'm so over this! 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi I understand very well how you feel, as same as you I have SVT, and I got an Ablation about three years ago

and apparently It didn't work, I will go for another one in two weeks, all that syntoms that you feel are awfull, and

I understand that you have short of breath because as me sometimes I felt a skip of short breath and that makes me scarry, but did you talked to the doctor and ask about an ablation?  Or do you take any blockers medication at the moment? I think is very important to talk to your doctor about these issues and see if he can medicated you, I take metroprolol 25 mg twice a day, and I feel much better, because metroprolol also calms the anxiety.

Let me know what your doctor says about the medication, and also ask him about an Ablation. 

• Posted

I haven't yet, I'm supposed to see the cardiac electrophysiologist on the 13th. The ERROR doc sent me home with a script of that medication, but I haven't started it. He said it could make my heart rate drop into the 60s, but I already get dips in my heart rate where it drops to very low 60s and that scares me a bit, that and the side effects! He mentioned an ablation several times, but I haven't seen the doc yet, so Idk what they're going to suggest.

• Posted

Hi jennilynn I went through the same as you I just had short of breath sometimes but my breathing felt off felt like I could not breath it all started Nov 2016 well I went through it ten years ago medicine help until Nov you need to see a doctor that deals with the electrical part of the heart I had ablation for svt in June of 2017 he said it was gone but palpitations still here it was so bad for my breathing I started to take my medicine again it helped with breathing some not so much palpitations I had another heart study done no svt he said I have a loop recorder planted in my chest still can't find the reason the worst part it cause anxiety on top of it all took awhile but I got it under control I still have bad days and I know what u mean about that feeling my recorder did show my heart rate go up then down to me that's svt but all he says is ur heart is in rhythm cause it was out of rhythm before ablation keep busy hang in there and at bed time let it mind go blank it's hard but u will get it also go see that doctor I think mine comes from digestive problem got to have that checked had gall bladder out didn't work on my way to stop smoking helped a little he wants me to take this medicine he gave me I'm sensitive to them all the rest made me feel like I really could not breath go see that doctor and if u need to talk I'm here

• Posted

I also take that medicine it worked for me about 9 years still taking it 50mg twice daily I didn't have no problems with that one these meds only work for so long then they need changed and those other ones were awful for me

• Posted

I’m so very sorry you are having so much problems. I think when you have these “episodes”, it scares you and you become critically aware of your heart. Try and see a cardiologist right away! 

I had an episode this morning and my heart went from 63 to 129 in 1 second. That’s not real high, but it made me tired and worried because I haven’t had an issue in 6 months. Hope you will get to a doctor soon. 

• Posted

Thanks all! Like I said in the reply to Ema38991, I go see a Cardiac Electrophysiologist on the 13th (the soonest they could get me in as a new patient). I've always been really aware/sensitive to my heart beat, and I guess hearing the ER doc say I have SVT makes me feel a little less crazy for it  bc even as a 'young, stupid kid' trying to do young stupid kid things, I was always very aware of it and when I'd get nervous or excited about something, it got really bad. 

My biggest hangup when it comes to the meds the ER doc prescribed is the side effects I keep reading. I already take pain meds for the 4 compression fractures in my spine, fibromyalgia and arthritis (yea, I'm a lot of fun! lol) and I know they can mess with my heart rate as well, so before I start taking something to control it, I want to make sure there's no issue with the other meds. One minute my resting heart rate is in the 80s, the next it's in the low 60s, so it's ALL over the place and that does concern me. I'm hoping they'll try the event monitor again and my insurance will actually cover it! 

My heart rate had spiked from the low 80s to 180s getting out of the shower that same morning, but I didn't think much of it bc that usually happens when I take a shower. Really, the only difference between that day and all the other times is that I've actually been able to see what the actual heart rate is, I've never known what the numbers were before bc it would always be down by the time I got to the hospital, so I just stopped going! Idk if the symptoms are similar for everyone, but I get the rapid heart rate, my heart pounds so hard it literally shakes my body with each pump, it gets SO hard to breath and the pain in my chest is so bad. Sometimes I start blacking out, where everything just goes black and I just know I'm going to faint, but so far, knock on wood, that's only happened once and that was a long time ago. This time, my left arm went numb, which REALLY scared me. Luckily (or unluckily, depends on the day) my mom lives with us and she used to be a Firefighter/EMT, so she is a huge help in emergency situations. 

One of the docs in the ER told me to get a Fitbit type watch, something that continually monitors my heart rate. Do any of you guys wear anything like that? Any suggestions on what's good or not good? I'm looking at the Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro, mainly bc I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 when I get my taxes and the watch and phone have some great features when used together. Just a tid bit of information, if anyone is curious, I've been checking my heart rate with my Galaxy Note 5 (Samsung Health app) and it was only off by 2bpm when I tested it against the EKG in the hospital... So I'm hoping the watch will be equally great, but who knows with technology!

• Posted

I don't think the other Ned's you take causes the SVT. My cardiologist told me that it's a screwed up electrical system in the heart. It's like you go into a room and you turn on the light switch and the light switch doesn't work. I asked if it was my age or weight and he said no. It just happens, he said. It's not life threatening, just makes you feel bad. I think if we read the possible side effects on a medication, we wouldn't take anything. You could take it and if you notice a problem, then you can stop taking it. I have been on metopropal, fleccanaide and I don't take those now because they weren't effective. I take rythmol now and it's been working good so far. 

• Posted

Oh yea, I know it doesn't cause SVT, but pain meds do have an effect on my heart rate, but so does the pain I'm in, in general. I do notice if I'm having a particularly bad time, pain wise, and I take another dose too soon (not per my Rx, just too soon for my body), my heart rate tends to act more erratically, or sometimes taking the meds, and taking the pain away, will make my heart rate slow down some. That's all I meant by that, I probably should have worded that better lol. They told me in the ER that people are usually born with it, and I did have all the same symptoms before I started taking any kind of medication.  

• Posted

Oh, and just to kind of put into perspective where I am with all of this, or how long I've been dealing with it, I'm 34. I have 3 kids 17, 13 and 9... A nurse told me I needed to talk to them as well, explain what it is and what to do if something happens and no other adult is home. I pray that never happens bc it already freaks them out! Anywho, not that any of that is really 'important' information, just kind of putting that out there lol.

• Posted

I know what u mean I am very sensitive to medicines and don't like to take them but so far the one he gave u is the one I take and I didn't have no side affects even when I took pain medicine I too have fibromyalgia it took about 4 weeks to get through my system and start working I'm so mad it don't work no more

• Posted

awe, yea, that sucks it doesn't work for you anymore! I guess my issue is that the ER doc didn't even ask if I took any other meds, or had any other health issues before writing the Rx for it. Idk, maybe it doesn't interact or effect other meds, I just feel more comfortable sitting down with the Cardio Electrophysiologist and going over my full history before deciding to take it. I guess in my head, I've been dealing with it for 34 years, I can wait a couple more weeks lol. 

BTW I don't fault the ER doc for not asking more questions really, I was in full on SVT attack when he came in and there were multiple people in the room hooking me up to things lol. It was a bit chaotic. 

• Posted

I am also so aware of my heart.  This only happened after my first episode Feb 2016. My episodes usually start with a flutter/thump, and away it goes right up.  it usually comes down the same way.  But lately my episodes have been different.  I kinda get the feeling before, but it goes up a little slower.   I was told I had AVNRT but had a second attempt ablation 2 weeks ago, and he found out it was AT. that required a 3D machine that was not set up, and I will have to be put to sleep.   I go back  May 7th.

I think there is so much health anxiety attached to all of this.   It just freaks me out. I am a mess for a couple of days after an episode,

• Posted

JenniLynn, I am VERY tuned in to my heartbeat and all its flutters. And I never sleep on my left side, my right side or back is best I feel for svt. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.