hyper/graves but, gaining weight

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had any success with weight loss...any type of diet?  I'm limited on exercise...thanks 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

How long on meds, what is the dose and how much did you gain?  A friend of mine gained 15 and has now loss 5.   My goal is lots of protein, veggies, fruit and try very hard to stay away from carbs and sugar.  
    • Posted

I'm not on any meds.....I've gained about 30 pounds...(I'm only 4'9)...so this is a lot on my body frame....I try with the veg and fruit....I just fail....

• Posted

I lost 20 lbs but gained back 30 once I was put on antithyroid meds (so an extra 10lbs)

I second little to no carbs and sugar. Calorie deficit is the way to go. Exercise in between if

you can. It takes longer to lose but trust the process. 

• Posted

Thanks....its so hard to stop with the carbs and sugar...especially, since I'm at home most of time...and its such a slow process, I get discouraged easily.  

• Posted

Your not along rose65668.  I have found when I eat healthy I feel much better.  Being Italian is hard with carbs but  I do love my veggies !   When I am eating bad I don't feel good at all.  I have to listen to my body.  None of this is easy and takes longer as I have gotten older..

• Posted

I'm the same way....If I eat badly, I end up with stomach issues and have to take rolaids to calm it down.....and you're so right about getting older...so much harder....

• Posted

In Feb of 2016 I was told I have Graves with the results of blood test and no other symptoms.  Within 2 weeks of starting on 20mg of Methimazole I started to gain weight, my face started to swell and my eyes and eye area started to swell.   I wonder if this would have gone away without that routine annual visit to the doctor and their intervention.  Now we are here in May of 2018, I'm now on 10 mg of Methimazole and I have gained 15 lbs, (135 to 150) and still have the swelling in my face.  I can't loose a pound even through I am very active (and have increased my activity) and have always had a healthy diet.  I am tempted to start to decrease he meds or even stop them to see what happens but afraid to. I share your frustration as I truly believe the doctors don't  know what they are doing as they strictly depend on meds and offer no other options for managing this horrible disease.  We pay the price for their incompetence. 

• Posted

Hi, do you get your lab results? Perhaps posting your most recent levels will give others more insight.

Some people respond to antithyroid meds very quickly and I’ve heard of many people end up hypO  due to being over medicated. HypO causes weight gain

• Posted

I can feel what you are saying.  I have always had a weight issue and lately while not on meds have gained and don't know why.  Maybe my metabolism is stuck.  I work out and eat so so.  Not real good but not real bad.  I am waiting for my meds to be delivered and DO NOT LOOK FORWARD to this.  It seems to fix one area  the meds hurt another area. I feel fine. My TSH is out of whack only right now.  My focus shouldn't be so much on the weight but on my health I know.  What is the first thing they do when at the DR office? Weight and blood pressure right?  BTW, my blood pressure is fine

• Posted

I'm so sorry....I had to do the nuclear test to see how much of my thyroid was working or not working and to determine graves....only 35% was not working so, she didn't put me on medication.....I got the impression she want me to burn out my thyroid...so they could remove it with Radiation....and then treat me for hypo for the rest of my life....

• Posted

Reading this made me think I haven't had a nuclear test in years...I should if my Doc wants me on meds.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.