hyper symptoms help! overmedicated?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am hypo but a few months ago I became overmedicated taking 75 Levothyroxine + 20 Cytomel:

TSH: .013 (.4 - 4.5)

Free T3: 6.5 2.0 0 4.4)

All vitamins/nutrients/routine blood panels - everything else really good.

Questions:

1. Is it unusual to be hyper and it now showing in blood tests for a while? I had symptoms for 6 months w normal bloods before TSH/Free T3 finally showed hyper. (Symptoms that would come and go maybe bad for some days then better on and off: very weak, weird head pressure, extra bowel mvmnts, rapid pulse, can't focus, anxious, dry mouth ).

2. How long does it take to feel better when decreasing meds? I read with hyper overmedication it can take many weeks to feel better.

3. Are there other autoimmune diseases I should consider that causes the symptoms listed above? I have been so unwell for too long!

Things have been bad since these hyper symptoms months ago! Thanks for any input!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was recently hyper from being over-medicated. My medicine was lowered a few months ago, and I'm just starting to feel normal. Before it was addressed, I felt like I was plugged into a electrical outlet and had been overcharged. It's a horrible feeling.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you thank you thank you for responding.

I am on week 4 and there have been days that are overall a little better but still very much hyper feeling. Days my pulse will slow down some and then pop back up. I guess it takes a long time to saturate cells so it takes a long time to clear out as well. Thanks again!

• Posted

I am a Graves patient in remission off antithyroid meds for almost one year. I was also on Cytomel (low dose) before I got Graves. The Cytomel was used to boost an antidepressant I was on so I could have the benefits of a therapeutic dosage without having to take a therapeutic dosage of antidepressants because of the side effects. I was fine on this for almost 13 years or more. Then I tolerated an abusive co-worker and suffered a lot of anxiety which i believe was what triggered my Graves disease. What I learned was the thyroid does not like big changes in medications at least with my disease because my first Endo cut my dosage in half and I got rebound symptoms. My current Endo cut dosages very slowly and I think that was what finally worked for me.

I think it would be a good idea for you to get your antibodies tested, i.e. TBII or TRAb for Graves and TGAb and anti-TPO for Hashimoto's. If negative then I would work on making continuous small dosage changes or increases in the direction you want your levels to go.

• Posted

Long story short, two months after going gluten free a year ago is when ALL THE HYPER SYMPTOMS started. Doc says I started absorbing more meds which is a good thing. But the hyper symptoms have been so bad and it took a long time to figure out I was overmedicated. 😦 doc not paying attention and blood test didn't show at the time.

My TPO antibodies have been within normal range (20ish) for the last year and my only nodule disappeared. Also, after examination last week my new endo said to drop to "zero" med as I was still presenting hyper (pulse, bowel mvmts, reflexes, anxious). SO I have been 4 weeks NO meds at all. He wants me to struggle through til my next blood test and see where I am. UGH. I agree I want to see what my body does with no meds hoping these hyper symtpoms will finally go away. I think it just takes a long time for the T3 saturated cells to clear.

Thank you so much for responding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.