hyper thyroid and can't lose weight

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am so exhauseted and depressed dealing with symptoms I have no control over.When I was first diagnosed with Graves disease I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Now that I am on Methimazole for the past 8 months, Ive returned to teaching my fitness class and running during the week.  I've always eaten healthy but for crying out loud, I could eat bird seed and gain weight over night.  My endo says that when I suddenly gain 6-8 pounds for no reason, go immediately to get blood work and cut back the methimazole to 5mg a day.  That is so frustrating to hear!! So easy to say to  someone when they don't have the problem themselves. I thought that hyper meant the weight stays off easier so figuring out what to eat, not to eat, exercise too much or not enough, or wait to see how much weight you can gain before your medication is changed is frustrating. AHHHHHHHHHH!!! Sometimes I feel sluggish and other days I feel like I'm having anxieties and trying to sleep with a million questions is just as frustrating.  I just don't know how to deal with something that I've had control over my whole life and now have no control over. I almost had a breakdown in the middle of Whole Foods the other day figuring out what to buy or not.  I actually thought about just sitting on the floor in the middle of the aisle and yell but didn't want to be lead out in a straight jacket.If anyone has this issue,  How do you deal with this daily????

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Angel21399, I had my weight gym training 4 days a week before I found out I have hyper thyroid.  I dropped 10kg, lack of strenght to continue my exercise.  i was feeling really negative about it. 

I started with carbimazole 3 months ago and now put on 15kg.   I checked my blood pressure yesterday, it is over 165/95, very high.  I am not sure if the high blood pressure is related to my weight gain/medication.  I will check with my doctor this week to find out the details, discuss how to manage the medication going forward.   It is hard , many questions about what to eat, exercise , maintain it.   I try not to think about it too much at night.   It is very hard becasue it has changed my lifestyle.      I think the best thing we can do is continue to work with the doctor, learning how to accept it and deal with it.  

Take care...take one step at a time...smile

• Posted

I'm trying to do that everyday. Thank you for posting. It's helpful to hear others in the same boat.
  • Posted

Yea that's not fun. I had hyper and me endo only put me on pantoprazole for heart and said RAI now. So I did now I battle with hypo, BUT, I can work out and do stuff and now on synthroid 100 mg. I kinda wanna be a little high because I feel puffy now (fluid) weight is harder now. This darn thyroid!!! Is your dr entertaining the idea of RAI? My endo said no to side effects of thyroid blocking drugs.
    • Posted

My dr has discussed RAI with me and I told him I'd like to pass on that for now and he said ok for now.  I get blood work every couple months and see him to get ultrasounds of my thyroid. He said he'll give me max two years before he's like to see me take another option of either RAI or surgery.
  • Posted

What dose of meds are you on?  Generally high doses will cause weight gain.  So will eating carbs.  I found my disease improved immensely with both my thyroid values and my well being when I added L-Carnitine, vitamin D, magnesium and inflammation lowering supplements to my treatment along with low dose methimazole.
    • Posted

Hi Linda

Which inflammation lowering supplements did you take or are taking please. Thanks

Cindy.

• Posted

Omega 3, and Curcumin are the main ones I take as supplements for inflammation.  I wasn't taking a high enough dose of Curcumin and plan to increase it to 2,000 mg with my next purchase.  Vitamin D is very important because I am low in it and most hyper patients are as well and it affects a lot of body functions.  I also take a prescription NSAID called Arthrotec, one pill a day.  This is one of the older ones and the only precaution with this is you have to take it with a meal.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda

I assume the Curcmin can be purchased from a supermarket or health food shop.

• Posted

Yes I get mine from a Health Food Store.  In Canada I have never seen it in a supermarket but do see it in a Drug store/Pharmacy.
    • Posted

Thanks Lindas it possibe to send me e contact  details please?
    • Posted

I'm on a low dose of Methimazole, 10mg a day. I think that would be considered a low dose. I eat healthy and stay away from carbs as much as possible. I haven't put on any large amount of weight but nothing comes off like it used to. I could do 5 hours of cardio and probably weigh the same afterward.
    • Posted

im on methimazole twice a day/ 5mg. I would consider that a low dose, i think.  I heading to the health food store this weekend and picking up some l-carnitine. I hope it works for me.
    • Posted

Just click the envelope under my name and you can email me.
    • Posted

Be sure it is Regular L-Carnitine and not Acetyl-L-Carnitine to start with.  If the bottle just says L-Carnitine that is Regular.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.