hyper to hypo?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, my daughter was diagnosed with hyperthyroid on Thursday after a tsh of 0.01.

her blood was taken at the same time and now we are told she is hypo -

can anyone explain how this happens and what causes it? thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thats easy!! The TSH test is very flawed and not accurate at all, it only reads whats going round in the blood stream and not what is actually happening!! Best is to see how you feel, then go by that NOT blood results.
  • Posted

thanks, I am very confused. she was started on carbimazole on the day of the blood test but now they have more results she has been told to stop and wait another 6 weeks. very frustrated.

• Posted

A VERY good and VERY thorough book that you can find on Amazon is "The Thyroid Solution" by Ridha Arem, M.D.

The book covers ALL facets of hyper- and hypo- thyroidism. A great reference and you will get a lot of answers and feel much more empowered having the book.

Best of luck!

• Posted

I would also have her tested for viruses (such as Epstein-Barr, which most of us have in our bodies). She may have an active virus in her body that is at the point of attacking the thyroid.

Look at her life circumstances over the last few years (or even from childhood). Any stressors in her life? Constant stress will wreak havoc in the body. There may be necessary healing of the mind and body to get things back into balance. It can take a very long time to heal, however, depending on the severity of the imbalance.

Emotional support is extremely crucial, as the mind, as well as the body, can be affected by the hormonal imbalance.

Also research "anti-inflammatory" foods and diet, and research inflammation, which is at the root of many, if not all, health issues.

• Posted

How old is your daughter and what are her symptoms?

There is only one reason I know of that an endocrinologist would say someone with a 0.01 TSH is hypo thyroid -- that is if she also had below range free T4.

Get a copy of her lab work if you can and post it with the normal ranges and we will help you understand it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.