hyper to hypo

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had I-131 in October. Now as of Jan having trouble with joints pain and swelling. Tingling, numbness, ringing in ears, weak upper body, generally tired. So,.... This is what I have to look forward to as a life now.  I felt fine before I did any of this. Anybody else feel this way? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi kimberly03735, when did you have your last thyroid function test? Are you indeed hypothyroid? Have they checked for any problems with your parathyroid glands? The symptoms you are describing match hypoparathyroidism to some extent. Here is more info: https://patient.info/health/thyroid-and-parathyroid-glands/hypoparathyroidism#nav-4

Radiotherapy sometimes causes problems with the parathyroid glands. If you have hypoparathyroidism then your Calcium levels drop. 

It also seems your thyroid ablation was a bit of a rushed affair. The initial treatment for Graves' is typically 18 months on antithyroid drugs (or 6 months when on a block and replace regime). 

• Posted

Yes it all happened so fast. Diagnosed in June I131 in October then methimazole did not work. Then labs showed all high 11/22/17 put back on  methimazole and again high 2/13/18. But had complications with joints swelling and pain with.  numbness even my face was seelling. Labs on 2/13/18 showed all electoliyes were normal. Too much methimazole. Took me off completely. 2 weeks later I have tingling feet, fingers hands with seelling and pain. No energy. Light headedness, with arm pain and upper body weekness. Labs showed last week level t4 too low put me on synthroid. 50 mcg. Now what? 
    • Posted

Many people live a perfectly normal life on thyroid supplements. It is mostly a question of getting the dose right. Everyone is different and absorbs thyroxine at a slightly different rate. To maximise absorption thyroxine is usually taken in the morning well before any food intake.

You will have to find out at what dose you feel best and provide feedback to your endocrinologist. This dose might need some adjusting depending on how much thyroxine your thyroid will be producing in the future. After ablation with radioactive iodine, the thyroid will typically atrophy but might be still producing some thyroxine. 

You could keep a diary (e.g. on your phone) recording any symptoms, heart rate, and the current thyroxine dose. This might help identify a trend and aid in adjusting the dose in the future. 

If you are on thyroxine you should consider applying for a prescription charge exemption (in the UK). Your GP will fill out the necessary documents. 

• Posted

Dan, I know I surely sound like a whiner. !!Free t.4. 0.4  Free t3 0.9  TSH 8.5.  this pill is so small it's crazy. And I started it yesterday, I just don't feel any different. Guess I'm expecting miracles lol.  But, I do know  artificial hormone replacement has been linked to breast cancer in women.  Just don't want to b trading one problem for another.  Thanks for listening. 

• Posted

Seems to be , we must develop a positive attitude I was told. My weight gain concerns sounded on deaf ears I felt. I've been in a treating hyperthyroid "system" for over 6 months now and continue to gain weight although I do feel better with the dosage of Inderal and Tapazole changes that have been made . Once I quit Tapazole in a rebellious   mode. Lasted 3 days as I realized all those involved were doing so in my best interest and have restarted meds . I feel changing my diet to fresh fruit , vegetables and less portions perhaps will help with my weight gain. I am sedentary due to other physical limitations. Just hope the extra 2 sizes in clothing which I have grown into will slowly decrease. I am 67 and able to do small tasks with my activities of daily living. It remains very hard to remain positive.

• Posted

I was constantly loosing weight. My Endo didn't like it. Hope he's happy, all I do is hurt all the time. Synthroid started today. Last labs Thursday showed t4 too low. Hard to be positive and work, when all you do is hurt. Ugh 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.