Hyperactive bladder!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive had an overactive bladder for years and have had all sorts of tests and tried loads of medications for it but nothing seems to make any difference. I've visited the continence nurses and had scans, kept diaries and so on. I have had about four different mes from the doctor and tried that Urostemol you can buy, but to no avail. I do take a diuretic but not every day and have kept a diary to see if it makes any difference, which it doesn't. I have tried not drinking after 6.30 and have tried having a drink! Not alcohol though as I rarely drink these days. Nothing makes any difference. Many nights I get up at least eight or ten times and it's not always a dribble. It feels like pints. Then other nights it's twice or three times.

Anyone else have similar problems? Any advice or suggestions or methods you have tried to ease it! I know my problem isn't as serious as many of you on here but it does affect my life and I can't get to the bottom of it. Thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi angela. Have you had your glucose levels checked for Type 2 diabetes? This can cause frequent urination with large amounts. Try measuring the amount you pee in a jug every time you go and write down how much and the times you went to the loo. A pee diary in other words. You shouldn't stop drinking fluids as this an cause problems too. Best wishes, Poll x rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Poll

thanks for replying. I did a pee diary when I was seeing the continence nurses and I'm fairly sure that I had a diabetes test back then but I will have a look at my online medical records and check. I drink through the day and am normally ok even when I take my diuretic (which I take for hypertension). It's just at night as soon as I lie down and try to sleep. I can be up three times before 1am when I've settled down at 11 and sometimes it's more than once an hour till I get up! I read somewhere it's lying down that can do it and something about fluid lying in the extremities. Have you ever heard that? I'm like a zombie some mornings!

• Posted

Yes, I have similar problems but I don't take diuretics. I had a v vault prolapse, posterior prolapse and just had an op to try and fix them. I still have to go to the loo several times a night as you do and it's now almost 5 weeks since surgery. I'm 74 so thinking maybe it's something to do with my organs and tissues ageing and weakening. I tried all the tabs recommended by urogynae plus the Urostemol, none of them made any difference. I have to go quite a lot in the daytime too so I probably have a small bladder capacity. You should talk to your Doctor again and ask to be referred to a urogynaecologist, they may be able to help you. I seem to remember reading somewhere that our bladder does tend to work overnight. Maybe you could google that. Best wishes, Poll x rolleyes

• Posted

Thanks Poll. I seem to remember the nurse saying I had a very slight prolapse when I saw her but that was years ago and she wasn't concerned. Maybe it's got worse. I'm 60 now. I just don't get why I am able to produce so much pee during the night! Maybe time for another visit to the doctor if it carries on like this. I don't get any decent nights sleep, not even a few hours, and it really affects me in the day. Thanks for your advice and hope things work out for you too. Angela x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.