hyperextending after TKR 9 months ago.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My knee has never been quite right following TKR however recently it has been really difficult to weight bear on.. I asked to see my consultant again and he has said I need a revision.. He wants to fit a new knee with some sort of hinge to stop the leg hyperextending. . I have to wear a brace in the meantime. . Anyone else experience this

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary. I am 10months TKR.  Although I haven't experienced what you are going through, I really feel for you.  I had to wear a brace before I had my knee done and it was one of the most uncomfortable things.  Do you know when you are to have the revision surgery?  I am dreading going back to the consultant in August as I don't have a great bend and it is still a bit stiff and painful. The left knee is playing up now and I think that needs TKR. Because the left one is painful, I can't exercise the right one so that is getting stiffer. Nothing is ever easy😞Hope it all goes well for you and they manage to get it right for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying... I don't know when I will have revision. .. I'm dreading it if I'm honest... I already had a brace.. which I hated... hopefully new one will be better. . My other knee is playing up too.. objecting to having to do all the work as the other one is still not right... hope all goes well with your next visit to consultant. .
    • Posted

Hi ,,I am 4 months Tkr ,,,and my other knee is sore now ,,,I am having difficulty straightening my operated knee especially in bed ,,it's more comfortable to lie with it bent ,,still very stiff when I stand up I have to shuffle for a bit before I can start to walk ,, I use my excercise bike 30 mins every day and am back at work ,, but still have difficulty getting around and can't yet do the stairs ,,still do one step at a time ,,,,everyone keeps saying give it time you will be ok ! ,,hope that's true for us ,,,,😳😳
    • Posted

I hope time will help too.  I am not being able to exercise much as the unoperated leg is so painful at the minute but the one I had done last August is tight and stiff because I haven't exercised it!!!  I also find it better to sleep with the operated knee bent but I can straighten it really well.  The stairs are anything thing though! I do them one leg at a time too.  I'm getting a bit depressed with it all to be honest.  I have to have the left one x rayed tomorrow so will find out if that needs TKR. I am 6 months further on than you but I think you are doing really well and you will notice the difference in a month or so.  Good luck and stay positive 😊
  • Posted

Dear Mary

I am 11 month now after TKR on right knee. I need TKR  for the left knee too. 

I am 69 and was a member of the gym for the last 20 years; I do work out to keep myself in some sort of shape. My right knee was never OK after surgery; I had all sorts of ligaments/muscle problems. Torn the quads.   Walking downstairs is a problem. There is a pain with nearly every step i take. The knee feels very stiff.  The bend is 90 degrees, no problem with straitening.  I had problems to make hospital to recognise that here is a problem and finally was given appointment for 25th of June. I cannot walk very far; I have lower back pain, when walking continuously.   Generally I am an optimist and try to enjoy life but it is very difficult to enjoy it when in constant pain and having difficulties in walking.  Being honest, the situation depresses me and I cannot see the way out.

• Posted

Oh Grace I know how you feel.  I had my right TKR last August and although it was not too bad in the beginning, as time has gone on it has become stiff and painful. Stairs are a problem as is walking any sort of distance. I am now in lots of pain from the left knee and so can really see where you're coming from.  I thought having this op would really help but here I am less than a year on and STILL in pain!! I am 54 but feel like 94. Like you I am getting down and fed up with everything.  My bend has been between 90 and 95 since 4 weeks in but I also have no trouble with the straightening of the leg. I won't see my consultant till 4th August but I sincerely hope all goes well with you on 25th. Xx
    • Posted

Dear Ruby, so sorrry to hear that you are suffering too. Today I have big problems to walk on this leg, it is so painful.  Please keep in touch. I am desperate to sort it out , on another hand I am afraid of revision op.

xxxx

• Posted

Hi Grace.  I am terrified of revision surgery too.  I am finding it so painful to exercise because the left knee is hurting so much but keep trying as I am trying to loosen up the right one! The pain actually brings tears to my eyes. I feel so very stupid but not sure what else I can do.  I am so dreading my appointment with the consultant but at the same time want to get things sorted so I can get on with my life. Let me know how it goes on 25th.  I most certainly will keep in touch too.  All the best Grace xxx
    • Posted

Dear Ruby

I already wrote  that after walking  a lot on Saturday, I could not walk or do anything on Sunday, because of the pain. I went to work on Monday, it was painfull to walk, but most of the time I was sitting at my desk. When I came back home I was in a terrible pain.  It felt like pain just after operation, even taking Tramadol and putting ice on did  not help. I was crying and  thinking of going to A&E, thinking that perhaps infection started in the knee. The knee was very hot.  Anyway, finally  went to sleep. This morning , no pain, slight discomfort when walking. What was this all about?   I am afraid that on 25.6 the doctor will brush it off and will tell me that upto 2 years I might be in pain.  So please keep your fingers crossed for me.  I want them to ex- ray it and may be do a MRI scan, anything to get to the bottom of my problems. Sorry to write so much, but only you and others from this website are able to understand it.  xxxxx 

• Posted

Hello Grace. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - my internet has been down!  It sounds to me like an infection as its getting hot. Don't let your doc bulldoze you. They might carry out the op but unless they have also had a TKR they have no idea what it is like.  I know it takes some time to heal but we should not still be in so much pain after walking after nearly a year. I know it's easier said than done, but demand that you get at least an X-ray done to see what's going on. Most of the time mine is still painful - tramadol plus ibruprofen and paracetamol together does nothing!! I truly hope it goes well for you on 26th and I will keep everything I can crossed for you xxx
    • Posted

Dear Ruby

Thank you so much for your reply, at least someone knows what I am feeling. My knee is much better, a bit sore when walking or doing exercises.

The last episode made me very nervous of doing anything.

And how are you?

Please keep fingers crossed for me tomorrow. I need also left knee to be done. What type of implant do you have and where  have you had the operation?  I live in London and had operation in Stanmore.

Anywonecan recommend a good surgeon in London?

Best wishes to you Ruby and to all other sufferers. xxxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Grace

Mine is just the bog standard implant - in my surgeons words "the one we all use".  Very comforting! I'm glad your knee is a bit better if somewhat sore. It does knock the confidence when you think you have done really well with the walking and exercising only to then get hit with such awful pain. I had mine done in High wycombe as I live in Buckinghamshire. I really wouldn't recommend my surgeon though as he is so arrogant and told me at my first appointment after the op to throw away the sticks and walk normally!!!

believe me I am really crossing everything for you for tomorrow.  Best wishes Grace.  Try to stay positive xxx

• Posted

Hi Grace how did it go?  I have been think about you today and praying that it has gone well for you.  I got my xray result for the left knee and so far it doesn't need a replacement but they recommend that I have a steroid injection as the pain is pretty bad and meds are not helping much.  I'm just thankful for small mercies at the moment. Let me know how you are when you get a minute.  I really hope it's good news for you xxx
    • Posted

Dear Ruby

Thank you for thinking of me.   I am not fully satisfied with the visit, because I had to push for things. Also I am not sure that things will improve.   The doctor said that the implant sits well, no problems there. There could be problem with tendons and muscles.  He suggested physio and if physio will not work after few months they can do a scan.  I asked him to do the scan now, as I do not want to wait few months and probably few months after that.  He promised to refer me for a scan.  I do not know what the answer is, I think I have some scan tissue, perhaps adhesions, I am actually sure of that.  As far as left knee is concerned, he said I can wait, because is not too far gone.  It is painful. This really strange because I was going and was accepted for operation on both knees, it has been agreed to do the left knee first, but I changed my mind 3 days before operation and asked  the surgeon to start with right knee first.

So one year ago my left knee was ready for replacement, and now it is not.  Perhaps NHS has new directives to save money. 

Sorry to be so down, normally I am a happy person, nothing fazes me.

Lots of love - Grace

• Posted

Oh Grace how disapointing. You were right to ask for a scan now - who knows what could have happened in a few months time.  Their answer always seems to be physio.  I know physio is very important but if you get a therapist who is not quite au fait with tkr more damage can be caused. As for the left not being too far gone now, perhaps you have inadvertantly discovered a miracle cure for knees that need replacing!!!! Some doctors need a good shake up!! You have every right to feel down.  After so many months and still suffering anyone would be entitled to scream and shout (I nearly said stamp your feet - not a good thing to say!).  I know it's difficult, but try to be positive but also pester the life out of your doctor for the scan referal.  Hope you have a good and pain free weekend.  Love to you  xxx
    • Posted

Dear Ruby

Thank you, you also enjoy your weekend. Decided to try to forget my knees

and domsome gardening, paint the front door etc,

Hope your knees are not to bad in this weather

love

Grace xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.