Hypermobility and choice of shoes?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and just been diagnosed with JHS and mild scoliosis. At my last hospital appointment I was told I need to change my footwear and buy 'proper' walking shoes that support my feet. I experience a lot of knee pain and currently have fluid all around my knee. I tore my meniscus last year and have had trouble ever since. I work as a manager in an office full time and not keen on the idea of these walking shoes as many of them are ugly! Anyone else had this issue? And where do I go from here? Are new shoes actually going to help me or is my condition more serious than this?

Thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The way I understand it, your muscles have to work harder to support you. In your feet, they also have to support your weight. Using supporting shoes will help take some of the pressure off your feet and knees. They will also help your knees stay better aligned. I can definitely feel the difference if I wear flip flops now. Whether or not you find shoes attractive is a subjective thing. I switched over to Keen's and Dansko. I like "The Walking Company" for nice, well fit, and supportive shoes that aren't ugly.

• Posted

I've found that any shoes which support my arch help to ease knee pain. They can be harder to find than others but they are out there smile

• Posted

It's hard to find the right shoe because every foot is different. Personally, I like Sauconys. They support my feet nicely and so do some Nikes. Really any running shoe should be good. If you're flat footed like I am (and flat feet can be caused by hypermobility) then you may consider using orthotics. My physical therapist said that using orthotics to help with my flat feet will end up supporting both my knees and ankles because they promote better alignment. If that's not the case with you, then alright, but if you are flat footed, then I hope this advice helps smile

• Posted

I have found that properly supported shoes make a world of difference to the rest of my joints. When I buy shoes, I look for a decent arch (I then have to add my own insoles as I have fallen arches), laces so I can fully tighten the shoes and have maximum support, and also tend to go for boot style shoes as my ankles are useless.... My best shoes for hypermobility have got to be dr martens, but i also often wear high top converses laced up tightly, and high top black slazenger trainers for work.
  • Posted

I'm new to this site and seen your post. My daughter who is 11 has been diagnosed with hyper mobility disorder. What has helped you get through this. Cause she has been in physical therapy but still has a lot pain. What has helped you

• Posted

Hi Bridgette, I am new to this site too. I have hyper mobile problems and I think really supportive shoes are a necessity. If you look around on the internet you can get good looking supportive shoes (usually from Europe) - not the ugly medical type.  Hopefully you can get some which your daughter will love.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.