hypermobility joint syndrome and POTS

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter has been referred to a consultant to establish whether she has Hypermobility Joint

Syndrome and POTS. I am very worried about the difficulties that can occur with local and general

anesthetics with this condition and would like to hear from anyone who has had experience of dental blocks and general anesthetics and how this was managed by clinicians. Than you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is thought that people with JHS are a little more resistant to local anaesthetics so more may be needed - epidurals may not work as effectively. It's not dangerous-just a nuisance and making the anaesthetist aware should resolve the issue.

In PoTS it is also important to let the anaesthetist know so that they can ensure adequate fluids-especially if the patient is fasting, and that the patient is not kept upright. They will also need to know about any medication. Most reports in medical journals relate to pregnant patients who have anaesthetics or epidurals and no problems were reported.

PoTSUk , STARS and HMSA websites have a range of leaflets that can be printed and taken to the relevant doctor/dentist.

• Posted

Thank you for this information - very helpful. I will visit the websites you refer to and print off the leaflets as suggested. Thanks
  • Posted

I recently had a hysterectomy under a general. I told the anaesthetist about my hpermobility and pots and he said it wasnt a problem and not to worry. As long as he knew he could act accordingly and had managed plenty of patients with the condition. I put my trust in him and came round feeling fine, had no problems at all. Basically just make sure the clinician has all the information and maybe ask them if they have any experience of it. My dentist has also been made aware and has to give me extra as it is less effective for me. He read up on the condition first and again I have never had any problems.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with POTS when they were trying to see if I had EDS but it came out to be more JHS.

Not trying to scare you, but according to my mother, when I was young, I had surgery for a hernia and I told her that I woke up during the surgery but I personally can't remember that and we don't know if I was just dreaming, though my mum's convinced I woke up. This was way before all of my diagnoses. 

After being diagnosed, I was fearful of anaesthetic but all I could do was state it in the form they give you. When it asks if you have blood pressure issues, tick yes and say she has POTS. In further notes (if applicable) explain that POTS/JHS will make your daughter more resistant to anaesthetic. As long as they're aware, they should take extra care to make sure she's safely anaesthetised. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.