Hyperparathroidism and kidney stones

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am being slammed with all symptoms of hyperparathyroidism and know I need surgery on it but I have several kidneys stones that have to be dealt with first one causing hydronephrosis.  Has anyone here had the parathyroid surgery and what surgeon did you use?  I am looking into using Dr. Norman but I want to hear from people who travelled to Florida for this and want to know the pros and cons you experienced.  As well as the expense of the surgery above what insurance covered.  Thanks for any input.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. How high is your calcium?  I have my at 10.7-10.9 for almost 8 years. One kidney stone so far.  My doctor ask to drink plenty of water and watch my calcium every 4 months. Surgery is an option for me. But my doctor had two current patients with thyroid removed, didn’t resolve the high calcium problem. 
    • Posted

Mine fluctuates between 10.6-11.  But looking back on old labs it looks like mine has been above 10 for at least 6 years.  Labs do night break down calcium levels by age.  When you are over 35 your calcium level should be in the 9's.  If you haven't already have your PTH level checked.  I wish I had insisted on that test years ago.  When I finally asked, my doctor also said its not that high we can just monitor the levels but I insisted when the pth came back elevated my doctor was surprised and said I needed to see an endocrinologist right away.  There are more serious concerns than kidney stones.  It's better to be safe than sorry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.