Hyperparathyroidism

Posted , 2 users are following.

Raised blood levels of CALCIUM and PARATHYROID HORMONE levels but level of VIT D is only 39. The endocrinologist is insisting on 2 months of very high dose of Vit D for 2 months before doing neck scans. Is this a reasonable way of managing this? Feeling worse (tiredness) on the high doses of Vit D?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i had hyperparathyroidism with sucessful surgery to remove one gland

i initially met with endocrononogist who told me to wait with identical symptoms

i immediatly requestes second opinion with a surgeon...got bone scan confirming bone loss, and difinitive diagnosis for primary hyperthyroidism i had surgery scheduled immediatly as that is only cure i am fine now

i would not wait get bone scan as all the info combined will give you definitive diagnosis which is needed for insurance to oksurgery

• Posted

also, from what i read, high vit D SUPPLEMENTS COULD WORSEN YOUR SYMPTOMS IF YOU IN FACT HAVE AN OVERACTIVE GLAND

AN ULTRASOUND IS QUICK AND EASY AND OFTEN DETECTS A TUMOR OTHER MORE DEFINITVE SCANS ARE THEN OFTEN USED TO PROVIDE DETAILED SIZE AND LOCATION FOR SURGERY

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.