Hyperparathyroidism and digestive issues - looking for input

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all, I've learned in the last six months - as a result of routine blood tests - that I may have hyperparathyroidism. I'm following up with the Norman Center in Fla but in the meantime have developed new digestive issues - gas, constipation, etc - and wondering if it's possible they're connected? As I have been asymptomatic otherwise with calcium and PTH results that are concerning but aren't off the charts, hoping that someone has had experience they can share. How common are digestive issues in suspected or newly diagnosed hyperparathyroidism? I'm a worrier of the first order so, frankly, am hoping this isn't some new terrible condition and all linked to parathyroid issue. Thank you in advance for your response.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Constipation is a common symptom. Digestive issues can be as well. I had so many symptoms that went away after that I didn't even notice until they were gone. My digestive issues seem more linked to gluten for me. I wish I had discovered I had this years ago but am still glad I finally had an answer to so many issues my doctor ignored.

• Posted

thanks for the prompt response . As I said, hoping they're connected so that I only have one thing to worry about!

• Posted

Hi Stacy,

I just had an operation in January at the Norman center, you couldn't go to a better place, they are the world's experts. Gastrointestinal problems are part of the problems with Hyperparathyroidism. In December I wound up in the emergency room with severe constipation and a UTI, very painful. My insurance company with their referral system kept me waiting for months running from one doctor to another and having tests that were unnecessary . At the Norman center you refer yourself and they do all the tests you need right there on the same day you have the surgery. Kidney stones can also develop with this affliction, drink lots of water and cranberry juice without sugar. I could hardly walk because so much calcium had been taken out of my knees by the hyperparathyroidism , this is probably one of the reasons I had so much trouble with the constipation, so walk if you can and hurry and go to the Norman center, they are wonderful people and very kind. I also have only a one inch cut in my neck, the surgeon here was going to do a 5 inch cut and dig around for 5 hours, I am 73 and I was afraid I would not survive. I also took Nattokinase for the very high blood pressure I had with this. It is the safest method to lower the pressure and it also gobbles up blood clots if they should form, other blood thinners like warfarin do not do this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.