Hyperparathyroidism- unsuccessful surgery and feelings of discomfort post surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

About six weeks ago, I had a parathyroidectomy. Everything seemed fine at first. However, after my post-op blood work came back, I went from feeling elated to feeling deflated. My surgeon said he was concerned that my calcium and parathyroid hormone level were higher than expected after this type of surgery. He said that I might have another problematic gland. He said we will watch my levels over the course of several months. Aside from that bit of bad news, I have been experiencing discomfort in my neck and upper chest area. My right shoulder is also hurting.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms or if anyone else had a second surgery for this disease.

Any feedback you would give would be appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Plenty of people unfortunately have to have a reop for parathyroid, unfortunately.  You might want to try joining one of the parathyroid support groups on facebook, type in hyperparathyroid on the search bar on fb and a list will come up.

Personally I have had a parathyroid adenoma removed and my bloods are good since, but I do still have some side effects from having had my adenoma a long time before diagnosis.  Not the same ones as you though.

Get your PTH, calcium and vit D all tested in the same blood test.  If PTH and calcium are both high and vit D low, it is an indication that you do have another adenoma.

Whereabouts are you?  I am in Australia and had my op in Adelaide, also getting my thyroid out at the same time because of graves disease.

• Posted

I think you chose the wrong surgeon ! I had an expert surgeon who removed my parathyroid tumor & he told me lots get it wrong when operating & remove all sorts of things including bits of thyroid & random tissue. Also, when operating he should examine the other glands to check  they are normal prior to closing you up, I'm sorry you are still suffering  Chrissy 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.