Hyperreflex anyone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Went to the doctors yesterday an she was checking my reflexes on my knee. On my left dude where I been having the numbness an weakness it was different an she said it was hyperreflex. She didn't seem to concerned but I am anyone else have had this jappen?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy thats interesting the last time I had my reflexes checked they were fine. But I havnt had them checked since having fibro.Im having alot of numbness its in my right foot today, my left foot is very tingly. I would be interested to see if dr checked mine if mine was like yours considering Im experiencing the same. your gp doesnt think its anything to worry about so thats goodsmile take care gentle x hugs
  • Posted

Hi Amy.  This isn't something I have any personal experience of but I had heard of hyper reflexia before and seem to recall it was related to spinal cord injury.  Have you had any spine issues or damage that this could be attributed to?  I would suggest that you might find it helpful to do a little online research and read up on the issue and then go back to the doctor armed with some further knowledge so that you can ask some more in depth questions.  Unfortunately doctors, particularly GPs, unless pushed and prompted, tend to give away as little as possible - to be charitable I think sometimes it's that they don't want to confuse patients or alarm them unnecessarily but being in the dark as you feel presently is often more worrying than knowing the facts.  
  • Posted

After I had a serious MVA (car accident) my knee and elbow relexes when tested were way out of control...   I had spinal trauma and Head Truama .. issues remained for many years to present day.  Because my muscles are so rigid my reflexes are hyper.   Even the minor small muscle mass over my skull is so tight that some days when I turn my head I can feel, hear and others can hear also the click/crack sounds over my head.  Sounds weird doesn't it... but when your whole body is affected and head, everything is weird and unusual, and dam sore.
  • Posted

Hi ALL; well I've always had Hyper-reflexes in both knees....all my life....whenever tested (even as kids playing around)..I would hit them in the face......IF we are going to relate this to Fibro, we will find that Many people are hyper-relexive, doing things like turning "arms inside out......bringing Thumb down to arm..etc"....I have always been like that, so is my grand-daughter....my father could do things that No-one else could (like turning him-self inside out from a door-jamb.....crouching down and picking up a matchbox from the floor while having his arms wrapped around his legs.....he taught me how to do this, too....but can't now).....one of my nieces was too hyper-flexible with her hips/knees etc that she Continually dislocated them trying to do ballet....I think this is normal in some people, just extra mobile with thier ligaments.......and have Good Reflexes....Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.