hypertension

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know my blood pressure was normal a few months ago and always had been but a couple of weeks ago found to be very high and continues to be now I'm at docs layer today I'm scared of the medication I'm likely to end up on I always seem sensitive to a lot of stuff but the high readings are also freaking me out, I put it down to not being ad fit and healthy lately as all blood tests have come back normal, any advice

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The more you worry about it the higher your blood pressure is likely to be.

Do not be frightened of any medications that you are prescribed as these are well tested and safe.

Remember to try chilling out a bit more, and just see how your blood pressure reduces.

• Posted

Thanks I'm wondering if my mens for anxiety are working I've suffered clinical depression most of my life and usually mens help me but before Xmas it was changed to amitripyline and only 20mg and I feel like I'm not on anything so maybe this is not helping
    • Posted

Depression and anxiety can of course add to hypertension problems, and I do realise that 'chilling-out' is not as easy as it might appear when you are sufferer.

I think a full and frank discussion about your symptoms and your concerns needs to take place with your doctor when you see him/her today.

As long as you realise that you really shouldn't get yourself worked-up and worried about something that can be sorted out by your doctor - then that is a step forward.

• Posted

What was very high? Was it checked during a routine visit to the surgery or did you go with possible symptoms?

As you will know many people suffer from so called white coat hypertension when having BP taken in a surgery. Do you have a BP monitor to check your BP wehen relaxed at home. Doctors are not supposed to rush to medicate on the basis of one reading.  

• Posted

I had an appointment with my doctor as I may have fibromyalgia get aches and pains my BP was 206 over 108 the nurse that took it was making a fave I knewvthen it was high I was told to get a monitor at home and for a week now it's mostly 150 or more over 88 to 95 I'm a worrier so hard to be relaxed
  • Posted

Hi Amanda, I'm similar to you by the sounds of it, although my blood pressure rose for the first time after me exercising & eating healthier for the last 6 years than I ever had before. Blood tests also showed normal. Unless it's obvious, they don't seem to know the causes, but I don't think they have the resources to carry out any other tests, just seem to assume mine is down to getting older (I'm 65) & not leading a healthy life previously. I have been doing everything by the book, diet & exercise, & taking my meds for about a year now & still don't seem to have reached desired average.

Like you my body doesn't seem to like meds, in particular the BP meds, have had really horrid side effects on first 4 I tried, I then asked to be put on Losartan which was much better, but still trying to get readings down. There are so many different ones to try, it's a bit of a lottery really. But like you I get so worked up before I take a reading, although I have found postings on this site very helpful, & recall how many people have fluctuating readings, & have had for many years, they are still alive. I know it's difficult if you are a worrier, but there are thousands of us. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

take care Sue 

• Posted

Thanks for reassurance it helps, im 44 this is a shock to me upto a couple of years ago very fit and healthy I'm only about a stone and a half over weight I'm not expecting these problems it didn't happen to my parents til they hit there 60's
  • Posted

Just back from doc feel a lot better they not rushing to out me on meds for BP which is good. I may actually be having problems due to amitripyline which is uncommon but I did wonder this myself to be honest so I'm stopping these and changing to my previous meds then seeing doc again in 3 weeks to see if I really do actually suffers from high BP. Feeling positive thanx all
  • Posted

Hi Amanda,

Your situation sounds a lot like mine.  My BP has been around 170/98 taken before I get out of bed in the morning for the last few months.  I have horrible headaches and my lower back aches.  My BP lowers to about 134/88 toward the middle of the day.  I am also so sensitive to medication that I just don't want to go to my doctor.  Plus, I'm afraid he will just blow me off.  I have tried every home remedy I can find information about online:  Hawthorn Berries, celery juice, Cayenne, water pills, beet juice, etc., which help a bit for an hour or so.  I'm trying to do some research into medications that have the least side effects before I make an appointment, but there just doesn't seem to be any group or single med that is outstanding.  Of course, I know each person is different, but I am hoping to go into the doctor's office with some knowledge, although I know I can't act like I have any knowledge at all with these guys.  Can't get another doctor, either.  They are almost all alike, or at least, that has been my experience.  I'm going to have to do something soon.  Does anyone have a recommendation of a website or from personal experience with BP medications that have the least side effects.  Again, I know there is no one drug for everyone, but I am trying to go into a docs office armed with info should I get the opportunity to have some input.

• Posted

Unfortunately side effects vary widely from person to person. On this forum Losartan seems to be the best tolerated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.