Hypertension acknowledged but not officially diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

My boyfriend has had high blood pressure for a number of years now, he is 46 and also has chrons but this has only been diagnosed withint the last 3 years.

He has been to the doctors on a few occasions to have a heart monitor fitted too due to him having occasional 'jumps' and sometimes its beats really fast for no reason. Nothing officially came of this either.

December last year he had yet anouther monitor, this time to take blood pressure morning and night for 7 daysm the results were noted as 'higher than it should be' so a few blood and unine tests followed, the results of which are clear. The problem is where to go from here? The doctors seem to be happy that he is 'OK' and are leaving him to it until the next time they check his blood pressure during a routine visit and notice its high, they;ll send him home iwht the monitor aghain and the same thing shappens again. Is this justy a monitoring game for now until something really bad happens??

I just need osme guidance about how other people have dealt with theis situation please? I understand that there is an element of 'pushing' the doctoros to do more but he isnt the sort to do that, he will happily sit and wait.

thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What are the blood pressure levels? It's okay not pushing a doctor, but when you're dead, that wasn't a good strategy. You can always push the GP, go in with your other half and say you're not happy with the diagnosis.

Has an X-ray or ECG been done? Some doctors are inherently lazy and some are bloody brilliant.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.

Its always 88/89 and into the 90's, rarely above 100 but it has been.

He has had an ECG and that was 'fine'. He has had loads of tests over the years to do with his heart anyway and various scans but nothing has shown up. I think its because its only bordering 'bad'.

He will go back to ask about things but he's also a bit anxious about the situation so he wont push or chase for results.

• Posted

Helena, you haven't said what your boyfriend's blood pressure readings are but if he is experiencing what you describe as "jumps" and sometimes fast beats, then his GP should be referring him to a cardiologist  for investigation.  It might just be due to an innocent irregular heartbeat but it could be due to atrial fibrillation.  Such events do not occur without reason.  As far as the blood pressure is concerned, it can't be unusually high as in my experience most GPs are quite happy to treat at even the slightest hint of raised blood pressure.  If your boyfriend hasn't got a home blood pressure monitor, then he would be wise to purchase one, if only to put his mind at rest.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

His readings are always 88/89 and into the 90's, rarely above 100 but it has been. He is just told to monitor it and come back if it gets high. We do have a monitor at home so should keep a diary of readings to take to the doctors to ge tthem to refer him again for a heart monitor.

He has had a few montiors fitted, one for a week in 2011, another for 25 hours, another for a week but his heart seems to be shy so it doesnt do much of its jumping or fast beating so they cant do anything about it until the get it recorded.

• Posted

'88/89 and into the 90's, rarely above 100' is this systolic or diastolic? This is low for systolic pressure. When you mention that 'he has had a few monitors fitted and one for a week' then I'm not understanding you. If it is hypertension you are referring to a 24 hr monitor is normal - I don't think anyone could cope with a week of that!  Perhaps you mean something else?
    • Posted

Hi Jane, those numbers are the number below the line.

The monitors he has had fitted for 24 hours and a week were for his heart jumping and rushing – trying to record it.

For the hypertension he has had a few monitors where we have had to take readings twice a day for 7 or 14 days at a time then taken the results back to the doctors for them to look at. So far he hasn’t had one for hypertension fitted for 24 hours. I assume this might be the next step? If we go back to docs I mean.

• Posted

So what were the numbers above the line then - the systolic numbers.. Although both are important you do need to know the systolic reading.

If hypertension is the problem/worry and I assume it is or you wouldn't be here, then life style improvements can be the first step to lower the level. Lose weight if necessary, take up exercise, cut out salt and lower alcohol intake. Give up smoking if you smoke.  Smoking is the worst thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.