Hypertension and ECG

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, my husband has been diagnosed with high blood pressure and done blood tests. He saw the GP last week and everything was normal except of a bit high cholesterol. Dr did not give him any medication for it. But only gave him tablets for hypertension, and thats it.

Today he got a letter from GP to make an appointment for ECG! dr never mentioned anything about it. So is it normal to have bcg done?

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Having an ECG is a relatively normal check, just to rule out anything abnormal. They do them at my doctor's surgery, no longer a trip to the hospital.

If his BP is high, then he should take medication for it, high BP can over time lead to serious medical conditions.

What wa his cholestorel level?

• Posted

He does not know the cholestorel level as he normally does not ask about levels! I think next time i need to be with him to the gp smile

I think its really important to have a print out of the results which he will do when he see the gp next time.

Thamks for the reply

• Posted

Well, just so you know, the figure that the NHS aim for is 5.0, up to about 5.5, they don't reallly worry. 6.0 and more and they will start pushing the subject.

My personal advice is, do take BP tablets, they have no side effects.

Avoid statins (cholestorel) like crazy. I have been taking BP tablets on and off since I was about 25. I should have taken them more regularly, because I ended up having a stroke (bleed on the brain/cerebral haemorrahge) about 18 months ago, of which high BP was a major contributor.

I have heard nothing good about statins, everything I have read patient wise, have said that they have bad side effects, that make life uncomfortable.

They tried to put me on statins (I'm already on 9 prescription meds a day, so I am not adverse to taking meds), about 6 months after I came out of hospital. I asked what my level was, it had come down from 5.5 in hospital to 4.9, I said wait and see. Another 6 months later, it was down to 4.2.

My advice, don't take statins, lower your cholestorel by eating more healthily.

• Posted

Thats a great information. Thanks for the advice.
    • Posted

He is taking 1.25mg for BP but sometimes its still high. Will have a review next month.
    • Posted

I'm on 5mg. But the doctor is doing it right, start with a low dose, see how he reacts to that. Coupled with having an ECG (this is just to rule out any other complications), your doctor seems to be handling it the right way and I would be happy if I was the patient knowing what I know.

You will learn that, doctors, consultants, surgeons and even nurses very rarely offer up any information. They see their job as, to make you right, not explain the process or what is happening or why they are doing things.

It is up to you to ask. You get used to it. There are some medical staff that take the time to explain, but they are few and far between.

• Posted

He is due to have another blood test after two weeks of taking the medication
  • Posted

Managed to knock my husbands high cholesterol down just by getting rid of all fat from his diet.

We hit the fish market, and lots of nice healthy green and coloured vegetables, Dr told me he needed to give all his nasty cholesterol patients into my hands, as he had never seen such a difference in a short time frame.

I must admit I turned into a diet nazi wife as my husband liked to call me at the time, but thank goodness we went though this little regiem, becasue a few months later he caught a virus or infection, they did find bacteria in his blood,  that partly destroyed his heart muscle, very nearly died, and the Dr's at the hospital said his overall fitness, and low cholesterol probably saved his life, he was expected to die, very few survive what he has, dis-abled but doing very well, mowed the lawns this afternoon. Exhausted afterwards.

• Posted

Is he on carvedilol for his heart?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.