Hypertension and heart rate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im a 38 yearold female. My wonderful 37th birthday present (lol) was to be diagnosed with hypertension. My doctor realized my bp was high told me i was too young for it to be so and referred me toba cardiologist . He did tests to find out if a medical condition was causing it. He ended up deeming it "genetic ". However when he did an ecg he said there were "slight " abnormalities which he didn't seem worried about. An echocardiogram told him my heart was slightly enlarged probably meaning id had high blood pressure for longer than i realized .he put me on 2mg perindopril which seems to be controlling the hypertension. A year later i went back for a second echo. He said my heart had not gotten any bigger had actually reduced in size but was still a little on the big side. Ive been advised to do another echo in a couple of years. (He said both echos showed my heart was functioning normally .) My my monitor often will show an irregular heartbeat symbol. My heart rate will sometimes be in 70's. Most often its in the 80's though. Im talking 88 or 89. Seems a bit high? I just got back from walking around the local shopping center for about an hour and my bp monitor says my heart rate is 97! Should I be worried?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Also ive just vacuumed and mopped my one bedroom one bathroom flat and my heart rate is 100 bpm! Is this normal? Im not doing vigorous exercise!!
  • Posted

Do you get chest pain or problems with breathing? Does you heart ever race over 120?
    • Posted

Considering you have high blood pressure, your pulse is in the normal range. If it goes over 100 then it would be considered high. If it shoots up, or you have any pains, then you should be worried. Do you take the contraceptive pill?
    • Posted

Well that is good, estrogen can be very harmful. You may notice at certain times of the month when your hormones change your heartbeat will be more irregular or fast. When you ovulate and before you menstruate. Keep a period diary so you can be prepared. You can download a free app on your phone which tells you when you are due and when you are ovulating. In those times, try and avoid caffeine, sugar and alcohol, because they make your symptoms worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.