Hypertension and how to measure blood pressure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I couldn't find a Hypertension group, so I am hoping this group will be knowledgeable about hypertension.

I was diagnosed with hypertension several weeks ago following two readings at my GP surgery, second of which was 150, first slightly higher. I was put on 5 mg Amlodipine, which gave me unpleasant side effects, and I stopped it after five days. I asked to be allowed to try propranolol, which I'd taken before for anxiety and which I had no bad side effects with. GP said it wasn't usually prescribed for high BP but I could try it.

After about six weeks, my BP is pretty normal in the morning, but later in afternoon it goes up to 150-160. I can bring it down with half an hour's exercise. I'm totally confused about whether the high reading is the important things, or whether it's the daily average that's more important (in which case I'm not doing too badly). However the GP diagnosed me after two readings at the same visit, which makes me think it is the individual number that is more important??

Additionally, I have read online about different methods of taking BP. Some people seem to take two readings and go by the second; some take an average; some take three, etc. I am confused as to how you ever really know your correct BP. Even a 24 monitor could presumably catch you on a stressful day?

Many thanks for any advice/clarification!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i too have high BP. i take amlodopine and candesartan and most recently my GP allowed me to take Propranolol too. I feel my blood pressure is primarily an anxiety issue.

Unfortunately that involves really bad health anxiety and i have a terrible fear of actually taking my bp reading. When i do though i do take the best of 3 readings but like you dont know if this is correct.

Sorry i cant be much help to you but will follow this thread and hope we can both get some advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.